Zone 3 Elk Help?

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by luckychucky, Oct 1, 2020.

1. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    I’m asking for a friend. He has a second week Bull tag rifle. The elk zones have changed. Hwy 66 at one time was in the zone 2 and now the zones split at Hwy 66. Would anyone have any information about this location or anywhere in Leslie County for zone 3 elk.Thanks for reading.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Doesn't season start in two days????

3. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    I said asking for a friend. I personally would have been on it since the area was picked but I myself found out this week as well. It’s not too late still time if someone is willing to share some information.

4. scrape

scrape 8 pointer

Jul 24, 2003
    Manchester, ky.
    Have you looked into the east tract of Asher area hunt acess in zone 3.

5. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    I checked out the Redbird HWY 66 to Boone Forest area the last two days. We found one area with fresh tracks. I know Zone 2 very well but Zone 3 I just am not familiar with. I’m not sure I even know where Asher area is.

carnivore likes this.
  6. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    Figured out where Asher is, I didn’t know what they called it. Found another spot with fresh tracks. Might not see anything but we’re closer than we was.

carnivore likes this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Stay with it! You have to keep the mindset that your moment will come right up until last shooting light of the last day. Bury the pessimism and the frustration the best you can.

8. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    Appreciate it brother. We found a hot spot. We backed out, and are in a ambush spot. We have located our hunting spot for the next 5 days. Got within a few hundred yards of him already. I think he’s bedding and we’re waiting him out. Just not being over aggressive.

1wildcatfan and carnivore like this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Have to hunt the wind and get in close to get him. Or walk all the way around a mountain to get the wind advantage if you have to. You can and should get aggressive if you mind the wind. Good luck and go kill that joker!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    1wildcatfan likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Be in position mid/late afternoon, 2-3, they'll be up moving a bit later. Good luck.

carnivore likes this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    keep us updated. good Luck

12. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    We are still holding up. We found a massive amount of sign by accident where we last heard him bugle. We really believe they will come back up the way they went in. They went in a hollow according to this map and were at a pinch point. Unless spooked, I think they will come back. Found elk scrapes and tons of rubs. This is a hot spot and I know we didn’t spook him. Just didn’t feel like we could have closed the gap without him seeing us. But hopefully he comes back. According to this sign, he must go in circles every day here lol. Now just a waiting game.

RLWEBB, littlebear, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good luck! Hope you kill him. Keep us updated!

14. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    We sat tight till dark where we stopped. Didn’t see or hear anything the rest of the evening. I know we didn’t bump anything coming or going. I am assuming they must have stayed low the rest of the day. So here’s kinda what happened. After getting to him yesterday morning. It took a good bit to get to the area he was at. He began to go down under the top area and like a turkey it was a little hard to tell exactly where he was at and when we got to a edge at the pinch point we found a spot of about a half acre wore out with scrapes on the ground, tree rubs in every direction, some rubs were on trees that were 12-15 inches in diameter. A lot of elk poop and just looked like they had been there a lot. Wouldn’t have found it if not just trying to figure out what direction he was at. Our game plan is to begin close enough to that spot to try to hear him or just play the waiting game knowing they visit that spot based on the sign. God is good. Thanks for reading.

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky