Zimmerman trial....

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by WildmanWilson, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Help a brotha out. If you saw something, say something....

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/07/660...cits-tips-on-zimmerman-in-civil-rights-probe/

According to the Orlando Sentinel, DOJ on Monday afternoon appealed to civil rights groups and community leaders, nationally and in Sanford, for help investigating whether a case might be brought against (the acquitted) Zimmerman for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. [Can you spell "double jeopardy"?]

Barbara Arnwine, president of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, who earlier in the day called for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, said she joined a DOJ conference call to discuss the prospects.

“They were calling on us to actively refer anyone who had any information, that might build a case against Zimmerman for either a civil rights violation or a hate crime. They said they would very aggressively investigate this case.” [I'm sure they did.]

In addition, Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund; Laura Murphy, Washington Chapter head of the ACLU; and several national, Florida and Sanford-based “human relations” groups participated.

During the call, DOJ officials announced that they had set up an email address so people to send in “tips” that could help aid in their “investigation.” (Sanford.florida@usdoj.gov)

2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Let's see - he took a black girl to the prom and spent HIS time mentoring underprivileged black youths ; he was Hispanic Not White- nothing factual going to be found and citizens violating Civil Rights - when not an arm of the Government- REALLY? C'mon they certainly cannot imagine we're that stupid

3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    That may be a deterrent, but I don't think his acquittal provides "full immunity". As opposed to a criminal prosecution with a "beyond a reasonable doubt" requirement, a civil verdict is only based on a "preponderance" of the evidence standard. So, while the jury may have acquitted Zimmerman based on the prosecution's failure to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Zimmerman was not justified in shooting Martin, the jury certainly could have believed that the preponderance of the evidence was that Zimmerman was not justified in his actions.

The only caveat is that I'm not sure which side had the burden of proof during trial. If his acquittal was necessarily predicated on Zimmerman proving self-defense (i.e. he had the burden of proof and sustained that burden), I would probably agree with you that he would then be immune from civil prosecution. I'm just not sure if his acquittal was based on the prosecution's failure to carry its burden as opposed to the defense having proved that he acted in self-defense.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    These so-called civil rights investigations are certainly a joke, but it would NOT be double jeopardy if the feds did bring charges against Zimmerman.

5. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

I'm going on the statute and what several FLA Lawyers (including GZ attorney)) have publicly stated, while I'm no expert on Fla law- I suspect that they are , every single one I have heard said the same thing by being found not guilty he met the requirements for immunity

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    They set up an email address, ANOTHER ONE??

Does anybody remember back in 2009 when the White House "set up an email address" called "flag.govt"?? That was for Obama supporters to turn in their friends, family, co-workers and ever their own parents who was against Obama. They would then "flag them". They pulled that out in a hurry when people caught on to what it really was.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I've seen much the same thing. Several of them did say met the requirements for immunity but one liberal lawyer said she didn't think so and said "it would not mater anyway under the DOJ lawsuit". I'm thinking she let that slip out without meaning to so I'm wondering if the fix is in.

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    "The DOJ" suit would be Fed not under Fla law and is criminal not civil also , without any evidence I doubt they'll look the fool yet again after one major loss with no evidence - but who knows with these idiots . Time to leave him alone IMO he has enough to worry about with the death threats etc.

9. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Of course, Zimmerman's lawyer says he has immunity. That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. For the immunity to be invoked, there has to be a determination that the defendants acted in self-defense under one of the statutes (776.012-013, or 776.031).

It's not entirely clear to me why the jury acquitted Zimmerman. It probably was self-defense, but unless his acquittal was absolutely and necessarily predicated on the jury determining that he acted in self-defense, as opposed to the prosecution's failure to prove one of the required elements, such as a "depraved heart", then the door is still ajar for Martin's family to bring a civil suit.

If the jury absolutely had to determine that Zimmerman acted in self-defense to reach an acquittal, you're probably correct that the civil judge will dismiss the case at the onset and award Zimmerman his attorneys' fees. However, if it wasn't necessary for the jury to reach that conclusion (i.e. enough self-defense to create a reasonable doubt), the judge may let the civil suit proceed, and if a civil jury finds that he acted in self-defense, he will then be immunized from liability, and Martin's family will be on the hook for all of his legal fees.

10. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    The statute only requires "(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune

We KNOW he killed TM - we KNOW he was assaulted, we know he claimed self defense and was on those ground acquitted. (as there is not doubt he did in fact Kill TM) so the justifiable part is clear (IMO)

Methinks there is no gray area, the evidence (including eyewitness Good) backs self defense and his injuries are consistent with felony assault if not attempted murder invoking the felony aspects of defense of self and others under Fla laws above noted.

ETA:

The "Depraved heart" etc. was necessary for 2nd NOT for manslaughter , the jury instructions clearly stated that IF GZ acted in lawful self defense he could not be found guilty- this is what the jurors who have spoken have in fact stated also.

ALL that being said

Would YOU (IF a FLA lawyer) take the case knowing the odds are near certain that GZ will get his costs back and you will get "what the little boy shot at"? :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  11. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

What I find most comical is that under any other circumstance, Zimmerman would be considered a "person of color," but when they're trying to spin it as a hate crime, he's "white."

12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    eggzactly!!!!!!!!!!!

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I don't understand why some of the TV stations cannot stop talking about this trial. They do not agree with the Juries verdict.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    They want to whip it up as much as they can, same as Al and Jesse.