Youth/Military Weekends

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by KY HNTR, Feb 21, 2021.

1. KY HNTR

KY HNTR 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    If I’m understanding the proposed youth/military weekends for 2021/2022 it will be a weekend before & weekend after the season. Where it’s fouled is splitting the weekends where it’s youth on Saturday, military on Sunday. I’m all for both youth & military days, but good grief give em a full weekend. Takes all the fun out of a 2 day/weekend trip for all. Makes a Ballard/Boatwright trip way less interesting if you have to overnight it for the hunt.

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Maybe for the kids?

I can assure You that the Vets have missed days and Seasons due to their signing the line...

And we Have Not had a draft call up since 1973 BECAUSE enough people Volunteered and signed the line.

4. KY HNTR

KY HNTR 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    I’m all for giving both groups two full weekends, it’s the proposed scheduling that leaves me scratching the noggin.

smashdn likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    The kids that play baseball or have soccer games on Saturdays will miss out.

6. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    That's year round Baseball,football,soccer,Basketball.

7. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yep. I missed a lot of duck seasons due to basketball. No complaints though.

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I could see swapping days if needed. If Sundays are better for the kids then I support switching if need be.

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Give them both two full weekends. Overlap if need be. Is the benefit the lack of competition or the early shot and late shot after the birds have had a rest?

10. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    We will just disagree on this topic. My mom retired as an O-4 from the USAR (Nurse Corps) after 26 years of service. She had two "deployments" in all those years - one to Walter Reed and one to Landstuhl. In my mind, she did nothing to "deserve" extra days of duck hunting, were she even interested. My nephew just ETS'd off active duty as a Marine and is finishing his contract as a reservist. He went to boot at Paris Island, comms school at 29 Palms,then duty at Okinawa and New Orleans. Again, he didn't do squat to deserve extra hunting time.

Now, if you want to chat about folks who have trigger time or such, I can maybe be convinced of that. I'm talking about serving in a combat zone, in a combat MOS type stuff. Like maybe earning a CIB, Purple Heart, etc kind of thing.

I've worked with too many of the E-4 mafia types to even begin considering that they're owed something. And, there's the fact that merely being prior service doesn't mean shit. Timothy McVeigh and Charles Whitman were both vets. Gang members routinely send their people to the military in order to learn tactics that can be taught to the gang (I've seen video of this back when I was working) or to try and gain access to weapons.

The youth weekends are supposed to be to assist children in having a good hunt without all the competition that goes in during the normal season. Hunting is a dwindling sport, which should be a concern for us all. There are a LOT of reason, and without going into a full thesis in the topic, things like culture, how hunting is accepted within the mainstream, P-R funding and wildlife agency funding are all reasons that we should be focused on the next generation of hunters and not worrying about some four year clerk that stayed stateside his whole tour.

dirtstalker likes this.
  11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I was an Armor Officer... Is That Combat Arms Enough for You?

When I hear that I'm always reminded that amateurs study tactics and professionals study logistics....... That may be lost on You...... What it means is that Infantry and Armor get their asses kicked when they run out of bullets and gas..... It takes a TEAM to win wars. Everyone has to do their part!

When we fight an intelligent foe; they tend to realize that our most vulnerable assets are the supply chain units... That's why truck drivers have taken such high losses in Iraq and Astan..

DH13, Rod S. and BootsOn27 like this.
  12. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

It's funny you say that. Most of the guys I know that had trigger time/saw combat, don't care about getting credit/entitlements. The guys that didn't are the ones with the puffed out chests screaming about what they "deserve".

13. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Fowler seems to be a good dude, since I see him here and on another forum. We just disagree on this issue and that's not a big deal.

While I've never served in the military, I've been around enough folks who have that I'd bet most would settle for competent treatment in a timely fashion from the VA over two extra days of waterfowling, lol.

14. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    This is the world we now live in!!!

15. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I bet you would swap the fresh, unscathed Saturday for a shot up Sunday!!

bowhunter269 and Giveem3outdoors like this.