Youth gun opinions?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Giveem3outdoors, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    I already know you
    Im certain you are sorry.

2. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    Just curious, you send your kid out hunting with 1 "bullet"?

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im with them and yeah 1 in the chamber zero in the mag, with a few in my pocket. Same for any new hunter i take at any age

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Look guys. I made a new friend.

5. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    Sure did! Everyone enjoys a witty dig and your "single turtle limb line" was brilliant, well placed, and hilarious. Well done friend.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  6. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Those Tristars are good guns. But I love my Benelli M2. Best shooting shotgun I own.

7. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Can’t hide money!

8. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    We are the same way usually with youth hunters.

So, 6 years or so ago we were headed home from hunting one morning and we had a few goose ponds along the way we jump shot when the kids were with us.

Well, these suckers were used to our shenanigans so they almost always put a sentry on the dam. There was a pond down below that we knew they would flush to, so I take this kid and get him set up just perfectly. The other adult walked toward the geese and flushed them to us. You could not have scripted it any better. Here is this kid and I eye level with 25 geese. They couldn’t have been 15 yards from us swimming. I tell him to shoot and he looks at me and says “You didn’t give me any shells”. Laughed then and laugh now but you talk about a failed mentor moment. That’s it.

Anyways, we packed up the Tristar and headed home.

9. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    My daughter is 14 and been shooting a youth mossberg 500 since she was 7. Killed 3 turkeys and many many ducks. Im about to step her up to an m2 and hand the 500 to my younger son. Not a fan of autos for younger kids. I always had 3 in the gun though. She started on a single shot 22 for a long time. After that all guns get loaded during season. The 500 has been a good cheap starter gun. I always heard good things about the sa08 everyone is mentioning if you go auto and load a single shot. I think kids need to learn a pump first though personally. Good luck, hope kid loves it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  10. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Honestly, a lot of adults would be better off with a pump.

I’ve been squirreling away for an M2.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Lots of folks like to hate on mossberg but by god they work dont they.. Ive got two, one a 12ga that Ive had for 33 years this month(nice older model) and a 410. Both shoot great, have never burped or failed in any way.. The 12 has had several thousand rounds through it. Used hard and just asks for more

12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I shot a 935 for about 10 years. All my buddies made fun of it and shot Benellis. I told them when it wouldnt go bang I'd buy something else. Year 10 it started hanging up. The rail has a couple spots that need filed. It was a great gun for the money but after owning a Beretta a400 I can say there is a huge difference. I'd never go back to a Mossberg. To each their own though, I could careless what people shoot. One of these days I'd like a real nice over and under and cerakote it but thats way down on the priorities list. :D

BootsOn27 and CRFmxracer like this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I turkey hunt with a 935. It's a turkey killing machine. It has never failed... It gets heavier every year though. I'll make someone a good deal on it in the next few years.

14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Bought me a fancy cerekote Browning Cynergy last summer. Just had to have it. I hate the damn thing lol. Kicks like hell and I miss that third shot way more than I ever thought I would, especially field hunting geese. I've enjoyed it in the dub fields tho.

BootsOn27 and bgkyarcher like this.