Youth Firearm?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by COUNTRYBOY, Aug 8, 2004.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    My son(turns 10 16th of this month) has been shooting a Savage .243 for a few years now, BUT, since I reload, I started him using the "Youth loads" listed here: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/243win_y.php

Notice they use the SSP(Single Shot Pistol) bullets which are designed (in lighter weight)(and YES they ARE big game bullets..and tested on them as well) for the Encore/Contender single shot pistols(thus less recoil than you'd want in a rifle)[:D]

By using H4895(the ONLY powder you should reduce by THIS MUCH!!) you get a very accurate/low recoiling load that will take deer out to 200 yards(much farther than she's likely to shoot for a year or two) IF you can go this route then By All means read the info on the above site, IF nothing else this gives you a VERY good excuse to get into reloading(and you can buy a Lee Anniversary Kit, for a very good price!) Get some .243 dies, (you'll need a case trimmer guage(ask they'll "fix you up" the Lee system of trimming cases is IMHO the easiest and it's not very expensive either....for SOME reason, I find .243 cases need trimming more than any other rifle I reload for)(again it's very easy to do the "Lee way")[:D]

And you could reload for your 'yote loads easily enough for an "added bonus"! How can you beat that? IF you decide to do this, I think you(and more importantly she, ) will be glad that you did,I will warn you though; it can be addictive(reloading)[:)] although I'm not sure that is a "bad thing".

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

2. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/243Win.htm

The .243 Winchester is a better varmint cartridge than the .25's, while remaining adequate for deer and antelope. The .243 launches an 80 grain varmint bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of about 3,350 fps. This means that it shoots about as flat as a .22-250, only its 80 grain spitzer bullet has a BC of .365, compared to the 55 grain .22 spitzer's BC of .255. This is an enormous difference, and explains why the .24's are so much better than the .22's on windy days.

When using the .243 to hunt medium size big game animals, bullet selection is paramount. Rapid (but controlled) expansion is very important, as the small diameter 6mm bullet has little shocking power if it does not expand and expend its energy inside of the animal. Two bullets in the 90-100 grain weight range that have earned a good reputation on medium size big game animals are the Remington Core-Lokt and Nosler Partition.

Winchester's Supreme 95 grain Ballistic Silvertip big game bullet is factory loaded to a MV of 3,100 fps with 2,021 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). If that load is zeroed to strike 2.5 inches high at 100 yards the bullet will then strike 3 inches high at 150 yards, 2.3 inches high at 200 yards, and 3 inches low at 300 yards. At 200 yards that bullet hits with 1,455 ft. lbs. of energy, and at 300 yards it still retains 1,225 ft. lbs. of energy. With this load so zeroed the .243 Winchester is about a 300 yard deer and antelope cartridge.

Man think I like the sounds of the .243 myself.

3. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    .24 (6mm) caliber cartridge
    The three leading .24 caliber hunting cartridges are the .243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, and .240 Weatherby, and they are all fine cartridges. The .24's are the most popular combination varmint/antelope/deer cartridges and the best balanced .24 is the 6mm Remington. It shoots slightly flatter and hits a little harder than the .243. The .240 Weatherby Magnum offers the best performance in the caliber, but has too much muzzle blast for most varmint hunting.

The 6mm Remington is an outstanding long range hunting cartridge for almost any animal from ground hogs to deer. Its light recoil and flat trajectory endear it to beginners and experienced shooters alike, and serious reloaders prefer it for its flexibility and long neck.

However, as a practical matter (and particularly for shooters living outside of the U.S.), the .243 Winchester is very close in performance to the 6mm Remington, and rifles and ammunition in .243 are much more widely distributed. The .243's position as the 6th best selling of all centerfire rifle cartridges makes it the odds-on favorite among the .24 caliber cartridges. For that reason I will go with the .243 Win

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chucks_rifle_cartridges.htm

4. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    I took my first deer at about 10 years old with a .243, My son is 9 now, will be 10 in Jan, You can bet he'll be shooting that same .243 soon.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

5. deerslayer0121

deerslayer0121 Fawn

Aug 12, 2004
    USA.
    As a weapons instructor and tn/ky hunter ed instructor,I can personally agree with almost everybody here ,a single shot h&r 243 or a 270 make great youth guns,and a 20 slug cant be beat,we as parents must rember these are small people hunting with big guns,lets keep it simple,and as easy as possiable for them,see you all in the woods soon,chet

one shot one kill

6. gut shot

gut shot 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2003
    morgantown, Ky, USA.
    my kids used a 22-250 with trophy bonded bear claws very deadly but i had to switch to a 223 when my youngest started huntin he is small framed and couldn't handel that quick punch