Youth deer rifle

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by columbia whitetail, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ken smallwood

ken smallwood Fawn

Aug 31, 2017
    fl
    savage 110 APEX HUNTER MUDDY GIRL gun pink stock get 6.5 creedmoor alot of ammo choices Walmart sells ammo Creedmoor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    What is the boss?

3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Muzzle brake

4. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ballistic
    Optimized
    Shooting
    System

IIRC

But yeah...a muzzle brake

5. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Ok gotcha. Was sure exactly what it was. Are they expensive?

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    In my opinion. If you have to “Brake” your rifle. You need to learn to maintain recoil. Use a smaller load or a smaller caliber. Them things will damage ears.

RLWEBB, carnivore and bdbrown66 like this.
  7. Right now Thompson center has a 75.00 mail in rebate on T/C Venture ll .I have never heard anything bad,just that they shoot great.Pick the caliber,rebate ends 11-30-20,I think

8. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    My 10 year grand daughter uses her grandma's 243 Ruger youth rifle. She's 2 for 2 so far.

bdbrown66 likes this.
  9. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    We use the .300 blackout in the AR platform. Hits like a hammer with little to no recoil. Buddy uses it in a bolt gun (Ruger predator series maybe?) I'm gonna suggest a caldwell fieldpod (or bog or something similar). It holds the weight of the gun and allows the shooter to move the gun up/down, left/right with minimal effort. Great way to help a kid be successful. Buddy of mine turned me on to it and it's been very effective for his two daughters and my two sons.

Additionally, we do A LOT of dryfiring. Helps get rid of the flinches and teaches the shooter what/when to expect from the trigger.

Good luck!! Hope you guys enjoy some success.

columbia whitetail and carnivore like this.
  10. OrionTheHunter

OrionTheHunter Fawn

Dec 29, 2017
    Kentucky West
    We've had great success with a Marlin .357 cowboy rifle. Really small, easy to shoot, and safe. Great out to 120yds or so. None of the long range advantages of a .243, but much less noise and kick. We did get a .243 too, eventually, but kids were better shooters for starting with the .357. With a cheap Tasco scope, taken 5 deer so far.

11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    BOSS is more than a brake and has a no brake option. It’s designed to “dial in” barrel harmonics to the particular load you’re shooting. Braking is secondary.

1wildcatfan and carnivore like this.
  12. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Not to argue at all, but all the research I did which I will admit is 5-6 YouTube videos, is that it reduces barrel jump and recoil by venting gasses back toward the shooter. On a few videos it did tighten the groups a small amount probably due to less felt recoil. All did say recoil was noticeably less. One said 40% less recoil. One video I believe had one flyer that made a larger group. Never mentioned a thing about barrel harmonics. I did research based on the possibility of purchasing one for myself. But after realizing how much louder and unpleasant it is for everyone around even wearing ear protection. Now if boss has a way to dial in the harmonics I may look a little more, also I’m looking at a barrel dampener. Do you have any experience with them. What I have seen has been mixed reviews as well.

RLWEBB likes this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    https://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/boss.html

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/browning-boss-system.785284/

Yes sir, no argument or arguing here either. I love Browning but do not own a rifle with the BOSS system. I’ve heard good things from those who do though. As far as the barrel dampener, I’ve read where some guys have seen increased accuracy, some worse, and some with no difference. I like SVL products and have them on my bow and their recoil pads on some rifles and shotguns and their stuff works but I’ve never tried the barrel dampener.

14. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    M4 style AR is hard to beat. Adjustable stock and short barrel fits them. Add scope, and 5 round mag. As they grow, you extend the stock, and slide scope back to match. I use Hornady thats marked ‘deer/antelope’ best i recall, 64 grain ballistic tip. I know its a tiny caliber, but the speed of the bullet, ease of follow up shots, ultra low recoil, and adjustability make it a no brainer. Plus the harvest pics really piss the liberals off ! You know, the ones that say its only good for killing people and has no hunting use . ‍♂️One more great reason, cheap milsurp practice ammo.

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Fine tune the BOSS and it will tighten up groups. "tight group" is relative to your baseline. May never be a tack driver. Adjust like a micrometer. Takes time and the right ammo to get best results. I have one on a rifle.
    Shooting a non-braked rifle, or pistol, will damage your ears without ear protection.

RLWEBB likes this.