youth 20 opinions

orion2000

6 pointer
Dec 7, 2013
Another vote for the Rem 870 Youth. Bought in camo for my son 8 or 10 years ago. He is 22 now. Still likes it...

dpowers

6 pointer
Jun 26, 2009
Shelbyville
I replaced the stock on a 870 with a knoxx recoil reducing stock when my son started shooting. The thing about the knoxx stock is you have to lean into or push back against the recoil for the spring to work. You can also adjust the lop..

COOTKILLER2020

6 pointer
Feb 26, 2013
A glass case of emotion
I replaced the stock on a 870 with a knoxx recoil reducing stock when my son started shooting. The thing about the knoxx stock is you have to lean into or push back against the recoil for the spring to work. You can also adjust the lop..

Wow! Never heard of the stock ! Sounds like it could really help the youngsters out on shooting a shotgun . Thanks

hccumminssmoke

6 pointer
Jul 24, 2009
Shelby Co
I've been looking for one for my sister as she wants to shoot trap, turkey, and waterfowl. I've been looking hard at the Escourt youth model semis, good priced and seem alright. Charles Daly also makes one that the local 4H shooting club has. we're going to try that one out for her before we buy anything. This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
I've been looking for one for my sister as she wants to shoot trap, turkey, and waterfowl. I've been looking hard at the Escourt youth model semis, good priced and seem alright. Charles Daly also makes one that the local 4H shooting club has. we're going to try that one out for her before we buy anything. This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

I dont recommend a Charles daly for waterfowl. I bought one Wal-Mart had marked down to $125 because it set there so long. I had just turned 18. Great skeet shooting gun and lightweight. Winter and big loads are not suited well for it. It jammed often its first duck season and kicked like a mule. Ive heard others say the same. I did love it shooting skeet though, not bashing them.

hccumminssmoke

6 pointer
Jul 24, 2009
Shelby Co
I dont recommend a Charles daly for waterfowl. I bought one Wal-Mart had marked down to $125 because it set there so long. I had just turned 18. Great skeet shooting gun and lightweight. Winter and big loads are not suited well for it. It jammed often its first duck season and kicked like a mule. Ive heard others say the same. I did love it shooting skeet though, not bashing them.

thats what the shooting sports club uses them for is skeet. I've got some KENT 2 and 4 shot that i had for my 870 in case i ever needed a back up gun. I'm going to let her shoot a couple of those and see how the gun reacts to it. I'd hate to even spend $125 on something and it not work.

hollandhunter

12 pointer
Feb 11, 2008
Holland Kentucky
870 is a super gun. I am gonna buy my daughters a 20ga when they get a little older. Prolly a 870 youth or a mossberg 500 bantum.

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
I received a Remington 870 Lightweight Magnum 20 gauge for my 16th christmas (I am 42 now)...I hunted with it hard and long as I grew up...I then started shooting competitively (trap and skeet) with it through my early 20s...I still hunt with it today for dove and upland game despite having both an 870 Magnum 12 and an 1100 semi-auto 12 gauge...

My 12 year old son alternately uses it and my 1100 (12 gauge) to turkey hunt with...I am going to get a fully rifled cantilevered barrel for it and introduce him to Fort Knox (deer hunting) this next year...

The youth 870s are versatile and tough guns...

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
The Weatherby sa-08 is a great little gun and lightweight. However, if your wanting American made you need to avoid it. It's made in Turkey.

Sonofabuck

Fawn
Nov 15, 2012
Chattavegas, tn
Weatherby sa-08 is what I chose for my 9 year old daughter. Wanted a semi to help tame recoil. I really like it and even bought a full size stock so I can use it too! Has worked flawlessly for me.

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
Well i was piddlin around at Sportmans yesterday. Confirmed, I really do not like the new 870s. If I can find an older one soon Im going that route. They did have a Weatherby sa-08 youth 20 in stock. Looked like a nice a little gun, i really liked it. So unless i come up with an older 870 soon Im going for the sa-08. It was a hair cheaper there than I had founf on gunbroker, so Im thinking I can get it even a little less at a nearby gun dealer.

Latest posts