youth 20 opinions

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Brsutton86, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Plan to start my daughter on a 20 guage this summer. If all goes well, get a few days in the dove field and a few in the duck blind. Ive asked some guys around, ive heard the weatherby sa-08 several times as well as Mossberg 500. Semi may be better option for less recoil with waterfowl loads. If I go that route ill stick with loading a single shell at a time the first year. Id really like a made in usa but not a must. Definitely dont want junk as it'll see lots of use in the duck blind over the next few years and a son coming up after the daughter to use it. She just turned 7 but she's tall and lankey. What advice you got, what does your youngins' shoot?? Thanks.

2. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Bought my 10 yr old son a youth 870 in 20 gauge. He can shoot it no problem, just can't pack it

3. thunderchicken10

thunderchicken10 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2009
    I agree with Ky, the 870 will be very dependable in the duck blind too.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    I'm in favor of the youth 870. Had quite q bit of experience with them. Also raised one with a moss 500. Now it shot good but to me it always comes in in second place to the 870.

5. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
    I still hunt with my youth model 870 from time to time. It's been around for 20 yrs and still going strong

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    If money were no object, mine would all have Franchi Affinity Compacts with 24 inch barrels. Being as I have three kids that hunt, and money is most definitely an object, mine shoot Mossberg 500 bantams. No problems at all. We target shoot with light trap loads, I pattern with turkey loads, and they don't even notice the increased recoil when they are shooting at a turkey.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I have a Winchester youth model that I have had for 30 years now. Been squirrel hunting with it countless times, it was my only HD gun for years, even crawled up under a house and killed a bunch of feral cats with it. Never had a case for it, it's always just been thrown in a corner, under the bed, under a couch, on top of a dresser, etc. Went for YEARS without cleaning it. To be honest I bet I've only cleaned it 4 or 5 times in its life, no way it is more than that. Yet, it still looks almost new. Has two very small rust spots from neglect on the barrel, otherwise it looks new.

In comparison, I took a Mossberg 100 rifle into the woods one time and afterwards it looked much worse than this shotgun ever thought about looking.

8. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Look at the Tristar semi's. I know you said USA made, but bought this for my grand daughter as her first gun. Semi's don't have the kick of the pump and is a bit lighter to hold. She shot trap the first year with it and no failure to fire and was dependable as any gun Ive seen. Followed that up turkey hunting and shot a deer with it also. Came with both wood and syn stock. I've used it for some youth and ladies events and people are really surprised at the quality and how well it shoots. She has graduated to a 12 and the 8 year old is now shooting it. Turkish made, inexpensive and good quality.

9. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    My son shoots a 500 Bantam Mossberg. Fine shotgun.

10. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Bought my 10 year old granddaughter a 11-87 youth and she killed a turkey with it last year. Recoil is less than will be with a lightweight pump gun. The 20 guage turkey loads kick pretty good in a lightweight gun, remember that. Recoil is a young shooters worst enemy.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've been hunting with the same 20 gauge 870 Express for going on 23 years. This Sunday I hunted in the rain/snow/sleet. When I got back to the truck it was thoroughly iced over. I never payed it any attention. When I called on it it answered with a swamper in the bag.

On the same hunt dad had his 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster. It did fine too. I would however buy her an older 870 - at least 15 or so years old. They seem to hold up better. My 20 gauge has held up better than my newer
    12 gauge I use turkey hunting.

12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Ive been looking for an older 870 since mid summer. They hard to find for sale and in good shape. Im not a fan of the newer ones. 870 and the 500 seem to always be the top 2 mentioned. I hadn't heard much about the weatherby I mentioned but a few guys seemed to love them as well. Unless I come across an 870, I think ill try a 500. If recoil is too much ill switch to a semi. I have a buddy that reloads im going to get some lighter steel loads from that will help too. Thanks for all the wisdom.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    If you come across an older 870 I'd snatch it up. She could use it when she outgrows the youth model. Anyways you can always sell it and get your money back. We've always done well selling and trading older 870s.

14. KYSUPERNOVA

KYSUPERNOVA 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2009
    Central KY
    Been thinking about getting a nice little 20ga. O/U for my 14 year old daughter. Buddy just got a tristar O/U and its nice!

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    youth 870. both my boys were around 125 lbs when they started shooting them. I had a decelerator recoil pad installed. the pad that came on it was hard.