Your kid getting a spanking in school

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by philipfleek, Mar 9, 2011.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    No it wasn't. It wasn't anything my dad hadn't given me when I needed it. It was a bunch of punk kids that met up with the law and the law won. Made a big difference and the classroom was orderly instead of a circus and from what I've experienced in our local school system, it's needed badly in our schools today.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Spank away. I signed the form and believe me, if they get it at school they'll get it at home as well. Nothing wrong with spanking at all.

3. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    I got "6 burnings" a few times as my 7th grade teacher Mr. Turner liked to call them.He had a little hickory paddle about 20 inches long and about an inch and half wide.He would take your hand and hold your fingers and thumb down out of the way and lay 6 on your so fast you could hardly see them.Then it would start throbbing and turn red.Mine were mostly for talking in class.He had rules against talking in class.His daily lessons would many times be on the board when we came into his class.If he had the word "Game!" written on the board and underlined when you came on it meant no talking.Sometimes it was hidden within the daily lesson.If you got caught he would always call your name and be pointing at the word on the board so you knew you were caught.Occasionally he gave students one for not completing homework or for failing a test.He didnt cull anyone.I have seen several times where the kids that ended up being Valedictorian and other award and scholarship winners in high school ended up getting theirs as well when we were in grade school.Good students as well as not so good got paddled.This teacher was loved by everyone.Tough but a great teacher.I know he had my attention and I did better in school because of him.Probably the best grade school teacher I ever had.He used to read us some of Jesse Stuarts stories like Hie to the Hunter or The Thread That Ran So True and others as well.I actually traded guns with this guy a few times when I had him as a teacher.A little discipline never hurts anyone and the world would be a better place if todays kids would receive more of it if given in the correct way.He was strict but not abusive.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I got spanked, worked wonders..LOL...As long as its warrented and another teachers present I aint got a problem with it..
    I saw a parent come in on a teacher once that almost broke his kids fingers..She had a real temper issue and had been written up for it more than once..She was practically beating a kid with a paddle and hit up on his lower back. when he put his hands up across his back she hit him there again..Almost broke his fingers...The boys dad came in the class on her and told her in no certain terms that if she ever touched his kid again he'd break that paddle over her head..She wasnt allowed to spank after that..She had to get other teachers to do it for her.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  5. Coach R

Coach R 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2009
    Somewhere
    Not a very fair statement...

6. Coach R

Coach R 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2009
    Somewhere
    I would have no problem with my girls getting paddled @ school. I am like most...if I got paddled at school, it was twice as bad when I got home. But this was obviously during an era when the teachers had the support of the parents. For the most part, it is not that way anymore. If little Johnny gets in trouble at school or doesn't get a good grade, it is somebody else's fault. What does this type of thinking teach our youth? I believe it teaches them to disregard authority and accept no responsibility for their actions or lack thereof. It is easier to place the blame elsewhere...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    That's funny right there.....

8. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Abuse is what I got at home after the school paddling :) Leather belt across anything dad could get ahold of......and yes there was bruses.....I lived......If it was real bad I might get one from my papaw too....I learned to do as I was told......so will todays kids......we have been way to soft on a generation of kids and we a reaping the consequences

9. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Really? Where did you research and find this information?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I would bet theres a higher number of sexual predators teaching, than in the general population!

Its almost weekly you hear about teacher sexual misconduct just in the local area.

11. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Softball coaches, basketball coaches, gymnastics coaches............daycare workers......I don't trust anybody when it comes to kids.........pedifiles put themselves in a position to get close to kids and parents. I'm not saying people in these professions are inherently bad most aren't. I'm just saying never assume these people are incapable of being someone to look out for.

12. Coach R

Coach R 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2009
    Somewhere
    And do you have research or numbers to back up that claim?

13. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    I got it at school and home and am now near perfect:cool:. My mother was a special education teacher who also got to deal with discipline problem children so she was very capable of busting a butt.

14. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I disagree, but how did we go from the subject of paddling to sexual misconduct? Do you really think that there are more sexual deviants in the school sytem than at a typical factory?

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Because a few members disagreed with anvil's post. And, yes, I think theres more sexual deviants employed by the school system than would be in the general pop. per capita!

Published May 20, 2010
    Written by Grace Chen

Much press coverage has been recently dedicated to the accusations of sexual abuse by priests within the Catholic Church. Parents and religious leaders have risen up in protest, particularly since numerous victims are still living with the aftermath of the abuse years after the incidents occurred.

body{margin:0;padding:0}

However, a recent article on LifeSiteNews suggests that the violations of the church pale in comparison to the sexual abuse that goes in on some schools today. A study conducted in 2004 by the U.S. Department of Education stated that, "The physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests."

No parent likes to think that a child might be mistreated while at school. However, incidents of sexual abuse do happen in schools, which many experts liken to incest. An organization known as Stop Educator Sex Abuse, Misconduct and Exploitation (S.E.S.A.M.E.) defines sexual misconduct as, "Behavior by an educator that is directed at a student and intended to sexually arouse or titillate the educator or the child." Unfortunately, behavior like this is a concern for parents, educators and students alike.

Why Sexual Abuse Occurs

A series of articles in the Oregonian in 2008 shed some light on why sexual abuse occurs in schools. It appears that the perpetrators of such crimes are not consistently disciplined and brought to justice as they should be. An analysis by Oregonian staff between 2002 and 2006 showed the following:

• At least one in four teachers who engaged in a sexual relationship with a student had been disciplined for similar actions in the past. However, the teacher in question was allowed to return to school and repeat the behavior, despite repeated warnings from school officials.
    • For every teacher charged with sexual abuse of a student, another never gets charged, despite admitting the behavior to school officials. Less than half of the educators admitting to sexual misconduct in the Oregonian study actually lost their licenses as a result. The rest were merely reprimanded, suspended or put on probation.
    A report on Eric Digest explains that school is the one social institution outside the family where children have consistent, ongoing contact. Unfortunately, that means a child who is sexually abused at school may have a hard time coming forward with evidence against an adult he was originally told to trust. If the child does report the incident, the school may not carry report the crime. A teacher who loses his license for sexual misconduct but avoids a conviction may have his license reinstated and return to the classroom after just one year.

Prevalence of the Problem

The study by the U.S. Department of Education estimated that approximately 9.6% of all students will be targets of sexual misconduct by educators at some point during their academic career. According to the researcher that conducted the study, Charol Shakeshaft, "Educator sexual misconduct is woefully under-studied. We have scant data on incidence and even less on descriptions of predators and targets. There are many questions that call for answers."

There are steps parents can take to protect their children from sexual misconduct. The first is to educate your child about inappropriate behavior. The second is to learn to recognize signs of abuse and address them with your child.

An Ounce of Prevention

The American Academy of Pediatrics offers guidelines to teach your children how to protect themselves and their bodies:

• Children up to age three should learn which parts of their bodies are private.
    • Parents should call the pediatrician if a young child asks about a sexual act or becomes forceful in sexual behaviors.
    • By eight, children should know to respect the private parts of others and who to tell if an adult makes them uncomfortable.
    • Older children should be taught about sexual abuse by parents and the school.
    • Keep communication lines open at every age, so your child is comfortable talking about a problem.
    Recognizing Signs

Children who are sexually abused may exhibit some of the following behaviors, according to HelpGuide.org:

• Trouble walking or sitting
    • Inappropriate knowledge of sexual acts
    • Makes effort to avoid a specific teacher
    • Refusal to change clothes in front of another person
    • Refusal to participate in physical activities
    If you recognize any of these signs in your child, address the issue as quickly as possible. Make an appointment with your pediatrician and be ready to report a possible incident to school officials and the police.

Sexual misconduct at school is rare, but it can happen. By tuning into your kids and addressing potential issues as quickly as possible, you can go far in preventing sexual abuse or stopping it in its tracks.

Resources:

Tillman, James and Jalsevac, John, "Forgotten Study: Abuse in Schools 100 Times Worse than by Priests," LifeSiteNews.com, April 1, 2010. Available at http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/apr/10040101.html

S.E.S.A.M.E., "Definition." Available at http://www.sesamenet.org/

Casey, Jerry, "Admitting Abuse but Free to Teach," The Oregonian, February 15, 2008. Available at http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2008/02/admitting_abuse_but_free_to_te.html

Eric Digests, "The Role of Schools in Sexual Abuse Prevention and Intervention." Available at http://www.ericdigests.org/pre-9219/sexual.htm

American Academy of Pediatrics, "What can I do to Prevent My Child from being Sexually Abused?" Available at http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_SexAbuse.htm

HelpGuide.org, "Child Abuse and Neglect." Available at http://helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm