Your first bow kill

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Jan 30, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Or even buck bow kill. How did it go as far as your expectations and shot placement?
    Im sure it was damn exciting, would like to hear about it

Junglekat and hunt like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    my first bow kill was a squirrel as I wasn't real good about patience and sitting still 35 yrs ago. sun came up, first thing that moved got shot at and that was always a squirrel. wonder why I never saw any deer when bow hunting in the early days. :)
    heavy aluminum arrows, 140 gr rocky mtn broadheads and a Jennings carbon extreme with 80 lb limbs. bad squirrel medicine.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    My first bow kill was my biggest gobbler to date and only turkey I ever shot or even attempted to shoot with a bow.

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My first bow kill I was 9 a Groundhog. With a home made Bow made from a Hickory limb. Some of Dads trotline string and one of his hunting arrows. Groundhog lived under our hay barn. I laid in wait behind some blackberry briars. When one came out I drilled it. Dad let me start hunting Deer with Bow when I was 12. Gave me a Ben Pearson long Bow 45 pound pull. Taller than I was. I shot and shot at Deer and could hit one. Hunted hard every year after that with a Bear Grizzly 55 pound recurve still couldn't hit one. at age 19 I bought my first Compound Browning Nomad. Hunted every minute I could with it still missing Deer. Was ready to sell it and quit Bow hunting. Dad said try one more evening. I did my First Bow kill then a 5 point Buck. Been hooked ever since.

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    That day was 30yrs ago on October 7th. It was an afternoon hunt with a Jennings bow Easton 2117 arrow and satellite broadhead. Back then season opened first of October. Remember it like yesterday. I was about 18ft up in a white oak at the edge of a clover hay field standing on old 2x4s nailed to the tree for a platform. Had several does come out under me eating on acorns and clover. Little later a nice buck starts munching on acorns behind me. Watching him I was having Buck fever bad. He finally stepped out into the field at 8yds right where I had trimmed a big limb off for a shot. Could not have been more perfect. He stopped right in that opening as I drew back. Let it fly hitting him right behind right shoulder he ran about 40 yds out into field and went down. I was so excited. I sit for a few minutes thinking about what had happened. Thinking for the last few years this would never happen but it did. Climbed down and went to check on him I was amazed at what I saw that My first bow kill was a nice 10pt buck in full velvet on October 7th. Very rare back then to get a velvet buck. I’ve had so many great hunts but that first is special.

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Little doe in 1997. I was 9yo. Shot her a little high from a climber. She ran 50 yards down the ridge and fell underneath my dad. I lost sight of her but heard him say out loud "Hell Yeah!"
    PSE Bandit 55lb, aluminum 1916 arrow and an 85 grain thunderhead.
    First buck with a bow was the next day out of the same tree, he also fell where my dad could see him. Decent little 8 point. Far as I was concerned, I was the most badass kid in the world that weekend, and ol dad loved every minute as much as I did haha

7. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    I was 10 years old hunting out of a climber, the heavy metal ones that Walmart used to sell. Shot a small 6 pointer. I was using aluminum arrows and put a perfect heart shot. I rushed home which was only about a 10 minute walk from the house to get help. Me my brother and dad recovered him 100 yards from where I shot him. He fell over dead on a old logging road to so it was easy to get out. I’m now 32 years old and remember it all like it was yesterday.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I remember those days when you had to shoot 80# just to get any speed. I shoot a Martin FireCat at 80# big ol Xx75 arrow big around as your finger , still bent all the time. First bow kill was a doe at 20 yards out of a 10' ladder stand, prior to that I lost two deer due to horrible shots.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    When I was 11 years old I saved money and bought my first real hunting bow (55-70lb) a golden eagle 32 something or other. Even with the limbs cranked out I couldn’t pull it back for several months but I packed that thing around with me everywhere because I was so proud of it. Fast forward to the next year after Shooting almost every day with my best friend his stepdad felt confident in our abilities and decided to take us on our first bow hunt. I got set up in a tree and had a doe come blowing by me with a coyote in tail, That thing stopped right in front of my stand it and I remember thinking that I wanted to shoot it but Thought I’d get in trouble (Before I knew the hatred of coyotes) After it disappeared that doe came walking back the same trail and gave me a perfect 30yd shot, it sounds crazy but I remember being so calm almost like my body took over and made the shot for me, like everything was in slow motion I can still see that Arrow fly through the deer. I waited until lunch when they came to check on me and I was standing next to my bloody arrow sticking out of the ground. Not that it was a competition (kinda) but it took my buddy another three years before he ever killed his first deer with a bow

10. Along time ago,High Country Excalibur .First day of bow season,first day ever hunting with bow,first hour.Smoked a 4 point LOL

11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    It was October 1989...…..my 6th season with a bow after multiple misses in past years. A bunch of does came down the trail that passed 18 steps from me in my home made climbing baker type stand. I shot the biggest one and hit high and back. She ran back the way she came, across the creek and over the crest of a hill. I marked a cedar where she disappeared. Waited as long as I could stand and went to the last place I saw her......and she was piled up not 10 yards from where I last saw her. Horrible shot, but I learned how effective cutting the femoral artery is that day !! My first bow buck came the following year, a small 6 point. Hooked for life !!!

12. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Great thread, I love hearing these stories.

For me,it was 1990, I had hunted behind my house before then,with no luck. My family didn't hunt,so I was out there just kind of flailing along,probably doing more harm than good I'm sure.

Then,in 1990, I got my drivers license! I was now able to go scout some public ground near my house(still probably doing more harm than good).

Anyway, I found a bang-up spot loaded with tons of sign. What I didn't know back then was all the sign was there because it was on a white oak flat and acorns were raining down. I didn't even know what a white oak acorn was back then, but I knew there was a bunch of poop around this area and the leaves were just churned.

Put up an old cheap stand that I would consider a death-trap today, and as luck would have it, opening morning of season at first light, I put a Spitfire broadhead(first year I'd heard of mechanical heads too)through the first deer that showed up.

I knew it was a buck but didn't know how big,and I heard it run off and then,silence. I really got torn up then.

The bloodtrail was short,thank goodness,and at the end lay a beautiful basket rack 6 pointer.

I still hunt that spot today,and have killed more and much bigger deer there,but that first one will always be etched in my mind.

13. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    It was 1994, and we were dirt poor. I was 18 and the only one working at the time. I couldn't afford new arrows, and in a questionable decision glued the loose fletch on my one remaining arrow back down and went out anyway.

I sat on a home-made stool in the thick brush probably to-hundred yards from the edge of a bean field to catch one of the deer coming back early. I had no cover in front of me but a big snarl of brush behind. As light broke, I looked up from fiddling with my bowstring to see a large doe standing probably ten yards in front of me. When she stepped behind a large osage orange I drew my sightless 55 lb Black Bear compound, and when she stepped out I released.

I was pretty sure I hit her, but couldn't find blood immediately. I left to get help and walked about 90 yards out to the pasture where I was parked. To my amazement she lay dead out in an open farm path. I couldn't believe it.

I looked many times for that arrow but never found it. I would give a king's ransom for it today. IMG_0723.JPG

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I started bow hunting in 99. My first encounter was a big doe right at day break in Hopkins county hunting with my uncle. I drew and squeezed the trigger. Heard a real odd thwack that I didn't recognize. Deer stood still so I knew I missed. Finally she went to blowing and bolted. When it got lighter I could see my 2218 buried in a tree all bent to pieces. No deer that year. The next year I put a liver shot on a young buck and pushed it too early and lost it. It was two years later that I finally arrowed and killed a nice big doe with my bow. Started my first year with a Clearwater bow, traded it to a High Country Safari, then to a PSE stinger which is what I killed my first bow deer with.

hunt, kyhunter99 and Junglekat like this.
  15. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Got in a tree stand in Oct. 1988 before daylight. Thirty minutes before dark I heard what sounded like a herd of deer running by on the flat above me . It WAS a small herd of 8-10 deer tearing through the brush in deep dry leaves. As they went by they suddenly veered straight down the hill directly to the tree I was in. Only bucks were legal , and I was frantically looking through the milling deer for a buck, but saw none. I heard something coming down the hill again and saw a coyote that must have been chasing the deer. The deer exploded out of the brush under me and tore off in every direction. The coyote followed.
    Couldn't believe I was in the middle of all those deer and couldn't get a shot. I was cursing my luck when I heard movement under the tree. A spike buck with 10 inch spikes was mosying along quietly 12 yards away. I started to draw my Ben Pearson 50 lb recurve . As I did, the arrow made a very slight raking noise. The buck whipped its head up and looked directly at me. I released the arrow and it tore out, knocking over saplings and running blindly into everything in its path. Everything got quiet again. An hour later I found it 50 yards away. That year there were 8 deer killed in the county. It was one of them.

Recurve77, hunt and Junglekat like this.