Young people are quitting their jobs in droves. Here's why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EC, Oct 10, 2019.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Easy fodder for the globalists to crush. All hail the great results of the Frankfurt School of Cultural Marxism. No guts to fight back, because there's no coloring books and emotional support stuffed animals around.

=======================

Young people are quitting their jobs in droves. Here's why
    By Megan HenneyFOXBusiness
    Millennials ditching jobs over mental health: Study
    Half of Millennials have left their jobs over mental health reasons. FOX Business’ Cheryl Casone with more.

Young people are spearheading mental health awareness at the workplace.

About half of millennials and 75 percent of Gen Zers have quit their jobs for mental health reasons, according to a new study conducted by Mind Shares Partners, SAP and Quatrics. It was published in Harvard Business Review.

That’s compared to just 20 percent of respondents overall who said they’ve voluntarily left a job in order to prioritize their mental health — emblematic of a “shift in generational awareness,” the authors of the report, Kelly Greenwood, Vivek Bapat and Mike Maughan, wrote. For baby boomers, the number was the lowest, with less than 10 percent quitting a job for mental-health purposes.

It should come as no surprise that younger generations are paving the way for the de-stigmatization of mental health. A Wall Street Journal article published in March labeled millennials the “therapy generation,” as todays 20- and 30-somethings are more likely to turn to therapy, and with fewer reservations, than young people in previous eras did.

A 2017 report from the Center for Collegiate Mental Health at Penn State University found that, based on data from 147 colleges and universities, the number of students seeking mental-health help increased at five times the rate of new students starting college from 2011 to 2016. And a Blue Cross Blue Shield study published in 2018 revealed that major depression diagnoses surged by 44 percent among millennials from 2013 to 2016.

Increasingly, employees (about 86 percent) want their company to prioritize mental health.

Despite that — and the fact that mental health conditions result in a $16.8 billion loss in employee productivity — the report found that companies are still not doing enough to break down the stigma, resulting in a lack of identification in workers who may have a mental health condition. Up to 80 percent of individuals will manage a mental health condition at one point in their lifetime, according to the study.

Of course, sometimes employees are unaware of the different resources offered at their organizations, or are afraid of retribution if they elect to use them. In the study, millennials, ages 23 to 38, were 63 percent more likely than baby boomers, 55 to 73, to know the proper procedure for seeking mental health support from the company.

The study was based on responses collected from 1,500 U.S. adults.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/young-people-quitting-jobs-why

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

This is why I have an "emotional support animal" and keep Sam Adams on tap. It keeps me working.
    upload_2019-10-10_11-12-38.png

EC likes this.
  3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    LOL! I'm sad and depressed. Where do I get an emotional support badger?

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You have to catch it. That's where the Sam Adams comes into play.

gung likes this.
  5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

OK. One of those "hold ma beer" type critters. LOL

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Hold my beer and stitch me up.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

The snowflakes do seem to be multiplying. I'm just amazed at the amount of thin skinned people today.

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Pretty soon , the companies will be handing out cups that mimic their moms tit to make these idiots feel better about themselves.

Feedman and mallardkiller like this.
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Send one my way. BGKYarcher will want a small tea cup. He doesn't like big tits.

mallardkiller and Meatstick like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    In all seriousness I see it a lot in the gulf. We’ve been getting a lot of 18-22 year old kids coming offshore the past couple years. I’m going to say it’s prolly a 60/40 mix of kids that are tough and thick skinned and when you have to chew their ass or the humor gets rough they just roll with it and go about their business. The other 60% well not so much. Try to tell them how to tie the boat up they get all offended then they want to call the office, whine and tell them how mean you are.

mallardkiller and JR in KY like this.
  11. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    LMAO!

Seriously though, I interpret the article as informative. I would quit my job in a heartbeat for a less stressful one. Would take a small pay cut to do it too. As mentioned, Sam Adam's does help. I think it's very fair to say work nowadays is a lot more stressful than days gone by. Employers want more, more, more thus leading to more turnover, then retraining, then less productivity. They generally dont realize this until it's too late.

mallardkiller likes this.
  12. Lots of folks are stuck in the 90s and don’t want to pay for shat either. Local moving company wants furniture movers (must be hard working lol) for $10/hr in 2019. I was making close to that at a grain elevator in the early 90s and moving furniture is tough, back breaking work.

mallardkiller, cedar creek and barney like this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'll take two, thank you.

14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I deal with all the time..but not just millenials. Folks 30-50 also. Place i work pays technicians a good rate for the area..and they have great benefits. But i swear, once you get in their ass one time..they pout up like a child. Most quit within a month. Some stay for their 90 days just to join their union, because then they cant get fired, and you will be sitting in the HR office if you 'hurt their feelings'. I have a few millenials, early-mid 20s that are tough enough to make it. Sad thing is, im 34, so im considered a damn millenial by some, just due to age, but my actions speak for me, and i damn sure aint one.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  15. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    Truth be told, I dont deal with verbal abuse well. The same point can be expressed in a better manner. One of my managers realized this just a hair before the situation escalated. He immediately apologized and it never happened again.

mallardkiller and riverboss like this.