young english setter

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by buckeye bird hunter, Oct 23, 2013.

1. buckeye bird hunter

buckeye bird hunter Fawn

Oct 27, 2011
    Hi guys I have a young male setter out of top cover dog breeding and he did really well in training but has only did so so on wild birds he did manage to point a few woodcock and a grouse two weeks ago in michigan but busted quite a few and now he's up north with a friend of mine and he told me he has not found any birds on his own but has done good backing and they have shot birds around him he's 16 months old I guess I expected more out of him what do you guys think

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'll give you good advice but you won't take it. Nobody ever does.

Hunt him by himself. He needs to learn by making mistakes and when he's behind old dogs it's easier to just back them.

3. buckeye bird hunter

buckeye bird hunter Fawn

Oct 27, 2011
    thanks I talked to my buddy just a little bit ago and he had 4 finds on woodcock and did a good job but still has not got any grouse pointed

4. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Time. They need to learn through experience, and it takes time.

5. locoman

locoman Fawn

Sep 7, 2011
    I had one Shorthair that had a really good first season and the rest were pretty much as you described your young setter no matter how well they did in training.If your dog has sound breeding and it sound like it does it will probably do just fine with enough hunting.If it points woodcock it will point grouse in my opinion....

6. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Time and repitition; no amount of yard work or pen-raised experiences can make up for birds in a true hunting environment. Sounds like the dog is having fun, not gun shy, and otheriwse has "the tools" if he's backing and holding on point (although I can't speak for his nose). Just not experiecned enough to put it all together yet. Is he using his nose to find "dead" once they hit the ground?

7. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Exactly. Needs hunting experience.