Yotes not being vocal...

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by nkyhornhunter, Feb 11, 2017.

1. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    I have been out 4 night in the past. 7 days and have one heard 1 group respond to my fox pro... Mostly howling with the female deep howl... Back in September on any of the 5 farms I hunt you may have a 1 out of 10 chance of not hearing yotes call back.... I know its breeding season so I figured they should be extremely vocal... Do you guys have any input on this? Or a different call I should try?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Probably debatable but from my experience.... breeding season starts mid -late December through January in the areas I hunt here in west Ky.

Usually by February .. being today is the 11th.... we're dang near half way through the month. Which I'd say it's not out of the norm to experience less response to howling or challenge vocals.

As for territorial vocals at dusk or dawn .... for some groups around our place...there's no real rhyme or reason. I've heard them sound off for consecutive days then go long spells not hearin a peep.

Also say pressuring the same area with calls can factor in as well. Just like turkeys... they can shut up and get pretty wise in general.

JR in KY likes this.
  3. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Having the same issue. I know they are there but won't respond to any type of howl. Last time out I even got back to the truck and lit up a siren that could be heard a LONG ways. Not one response. Earlier in the year a real siren sounded and they lit up like there was one behind every tree. I figure that's coyote hunting(for me anyway)!

4. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    Also say pressuring the same area with calls can factor in as well. Just like turkeys... they can shut up and get pretty wise in general.

Yep what JD said ^^^^^^

5. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    I really have 1 far,m that you could say I over hunt... This is my 1st year hunting and I am very framilar with that farm... ..I hunted it a TON right when I started hunting. That being said.... Finding spots to hunt Coyote is a hell of a lot easier than finding deer properties... SO I have racked quite a few farms to hunt this year... 3 of them that I visited Fri night have never been coyote hunted

6. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    My spot is not overhunted and the miles of area where I sounded the siren is not hunted at all. Coyotes just being coyotes I guess.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just putting this out there... and not debating what your experiencing. However, I've been hunting yotes for several years now... I don't consider myself an expert by any means but I've had some reasonable amount of success.

Which if I've learned anything it's the fact there's nothing "normal" or what's considered "textbook" about yote hunting.

What calls, sounds , set-up's or responses you get at a particular moment or even on several occasions can suddenly cease to work. Doesn't mean they won't work ever again in a particular area.... but expecting any certain consistency will lead to some frustration.

Also say I'm a little confused about the emphasis or need for continual response to sirens or locator calls in general.... especially on private ground properties.

Being... if you got a response recently... you identified yotes are around. Which chances are ... that's not going to change over a reasonable period ...if ever.

That said .. I haven't used a locator in years around our place. I'm more prone to using a locator at dusk hunting LBL just to listen and note responses in hopes of getting additional set-up locations. But even at that.. I've got places there I'll just simply hunt.

Also say I'm sure everyone has their own definition of over-hunting / over-calling a property. For me I've learned at the farm.. I can hunt about once every 4 weeks through winter without educating them too bad. Might push it a little harder if we have a stretch of extremely cold temps or snow. But in general I'd say any area ... public or private ... once every 3-4 weeks is a reasonable amount of time between hunts if you use a fairly low key approach.

Which is why multiple locations / properties to rotate hunts on is a must.

8. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    They sounded off here at the house a little bit ago, got my dogs all worked up.

9. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    Yup, they were finally back at it last night... On another forum I had several members tell me that it was the full moon that was making them quite. Sure I enough while out hunting last night I heard more vocals in 2 hours then I have hear in 2 weeks

10. gds

gds 8 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    Just before dark tonight they lit up like crazy for about one minute . That's the first that I've heard for a while.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Something else to keep in mind. Just because certain people are the only ones hunting certain farms does not mean nobody else hunts next door or ever 2 or 3 farms away. All those people will be calling the same coyote groups since the coyotes cover a lot of land. So ever if we are trying not to over hunt our own farms does not mean those same coyotes are not being called and hunted on the days we don't hunt. Anytime your out calling and happen to be able to hear other people calling you can bet the coyotes your after can hear them better than you do so now we have two different hunters calling at the same time to the same coyotes.

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, I ain't no Expert either.
    Anyone that thinks he is an EXPERT usually don't know Nuttin.
    Coyotes are Smart, and they don't follow the rules we think they should.
    I shot one the other day about Dark....it yelped....it got answers from 2 different directions and I could barely hear it myself.
    They Know the Real Thing from a call.

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I haven't seen or heard coyotes since last late Summer. Found some Bobcat tracks near a watering hole though.