Yote's/Domestic Dog ?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Deer Hunter, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Will yote's mate with domestic dogs ?

2. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
  3. yes, and they can be very troublesome..some people call them koydogs. And sometime they will be more aggressive towards human because they arent as scared of them, which means they will get closer to homes, livestock and pets.

act as a spirit of the night and u become invisible to all prey that may bite!

4. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Spiritofthenight. Do you mean that the pup of a yote/domestic dog cross is called a koy dog ?

5. that is what i have heard them called
    i read an artical one time where the author spoke of several koy dogs cornering a full grown cow. they were in broad daylight near a busy road as he watched.they attacked its legs until it went down and he took his truck into field after them. he wrote that the koydogs were not even very fearful of his truck until he got real close.

6. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    I had heard the term koydog before. But I did'nt realize that it was the result of a domesticated dog and a yote mating.

7. PredatorHunter

PredatorHunter Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    Sonora, Ky., USA.
    Coyotes can and do mate with domestic dogs;such as German Shephards,Collies,and such.I've killed a few over the years.One particular farmer called to say, three were running his cattle and when he ran out yelling at them,thinking they were coyotes;they turned and ran at him,teeth showing!He managed to swing onto a tearpole in the driveway of his barn and make it to the loft.All it took for me to call them in was a challenge howl,and only one!!They don't have the fear of man coyotes have.They don't differ much in appearance from a coyote,other than their head,which more closely resembles a dogs;usually a shorter nose or, longer ears.They tend to be very agressive;wheather towards livestock,or humans.The correct spelling is Coydog.

Don't fear the night;fear what hunts at night!

8. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    I believe I may try to be going to get one of these this weekend. A woman boards horses and said 3 nights ago, a coyote was chasing one. The night after, her son was in the yard and apparently this "coyote" was to close for comfort.I would't think much about it but 1)she said its about the size of her golden retriever.2)by hearing her talk, its more brave than a regular coyote.3)this area is right on the city limits.(thinking maybe a crossbreed?)This will be definetly be a "shotgun" kill if I get lucky. What do ya'll think? And if any of you have a pic to post of one of these it would probably be appreciated. Thanks.

9. hey INjun it sounds to me like u might have a coydog that she is having trouble with.But me careful and make sure theres not a rabid coyote instead. If a ribid is what u find be sure and alert Everyone

10. Injun,

Did you ever get it?![?]

If you do, here is how you can tell whether it is a coyote or coydog fairly easily. They are SO closely related (domestic dogs/coyotes) that it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell strictly by external "looks" such as bushy tails, LENGTH of tail, size/length of head/ears, etc., etc. or just generally looking 'scruffier"!

The ONLY way to tell definitively (WITHOUT genetic tests!) is with the teeth/lower jaw. Skin the gum/meat on the lower jaw down until you see two pits in the jaw. If the upper canine teeth come BELOW those two pits, it is most likely a full-blooded coyote. If they are AT the pits, most likely a coydog. If they are ABOVE the pits...you just shot "Rover"!!!

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

11. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    Huntered.I went back to do a real good scout on the area about 2 weeks ago.This is considered in the city limits.I didn't see any more sign(scat).I asked the guy from work if he had heard from this woman anymore and he hadn't. I tried to call her and never heard from her so I left it at that.But I'll tell you one thing, I never have seen so much groundhog sign in my life for such a small area. To bad it's so close to houses.Thanks for asking and the info!

12. Injun,

Bummer (that you can't hunt it!)...but good thing you checked it out good BEFORE you hunted it![:0] They tend to frown on the in-town hunting...![B)][^]

Bummer you can't hunt the groundhogs TOO...I have a 'seeker of the red mist' (AKA my Howa 1500 22-250![;)][:D]) that would LOVE to play with some groundhogs![:p]

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

13. If u do find signs one day that a Coydog is around can u legally bow hunt it??????