Yellow Perch?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Xi Bowhunter, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Are there yellow perch in the Ky region really? I saw on a book that KDFWR gives out that they are in the ohio river, but I have never seen or heard of anybody actually catching one. Have any of you guy ever caught one? I also heard that they are good to eat, is this true? I would mind trying some if I could catch them.

2. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I've heard of a few being caught,mostly by accident and few and far between.If you really want to catch them,need to head north,up around Lake Erie.

3. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    I have caught alot in ky lake. they don't get as big down here but they are here

4. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Man yellow perch are delicious! Many people prefer them to walleye, and you know walleye are delicious.I have caught many, of course that was lake Erie!I have never caught or even heard of any being caught in my area.When I went to Wi. grouse hunting we stopped by the marina in Port Clinton and planned on fishing for them for a coupla days, at that time they were catching 14-16 inchers, which is almost unheard of in Lake Erie in the summer! But alas, the gas had water in it and I had to get the boat worked on and did'nt get to fish for those jumbo's!:(

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Like nutcase said, there have been quite a few caught in KY Lake. I would assume they've made it into Barkley as well.

I've never personally caught one here but have been in the boat when a few were landed.

6. corkster_00

corkster_00 Fawn

Mar 17, 2006
    Mays Lick Ky.
    I caught one last year at Meldhal dam and saw the week before someone on the Ohio Game fishing site caught one at Greenup Dam.

7. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    There are some monsters in the lake across from the mall on Richmond road in Lexington, too bad my friend moved and I can't get to them anymore.

8. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Where abouts did you catch them on KY lake? What were you using? What time of year? I go down there alot, and I am always looking for new fish to try to catch.

9. jdattilo

jdattilo 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2005
    Louisville
    I've just caught them by accident crappie fishing in the spring at Kentucky on minnows and jigs. Not sure they're in Kentucky Lake at numbers worth targeting ...

10. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Come on Nutcase, caught a lot? You may have people thinking you can fish.

11. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Hint!

A very wise lifelong perch fisherman told me this years ago after a non-productive day on yellow perch. Keep your motor running if you have the gas to spare! Perch love the sound of a motor.On Erie if your catching perch handily and a guy 50 yards away is'nt, and see's you catching, he will start his engine to pull the school your on to him!They make some kinda noise maker you can hang off your boat for perch, but the locals in Port Clinton tell me a running motor is better.I don't know if this will work in Ky. or not, but it sure does in Erie!