Yellow Hornets

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by glenmorebuckman, Oct 3, 2019.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    I have a maple tree that has a hollowed out trunk and yellow hornets have built a nest in it.Didn’t know it was there until my 4 year old boy was standing next to it and got stung on the cheek and wrist. I’ve sprayed 3 cans of hornet spray, half a gallon of gasoline and knocked down what is visible of the nest but they are still there. There must be more nest up in the trunk that’s not visible. Anybody have any ideas how to get rid of them?

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Spray it good with permethrin.

3. glenmorebuckman

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    Any idea how to spray it from a safe distance? Say half a mile or so.Lol

barney likes this.
  4. glenmorebuckman

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    I hate to even think about what an open flame would do around here as dry as it is.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Whatever you do to treat wasps, bees, yellow jackets or hornets should be done late in the day preferably after dark or very early morning unless you like getting stung, you can try a fogger of some sort or an insecticidal powder to treat the cavity (not seven dust) something like Delta Dust or a powder made specifically for wasps and hornets..

6. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I had a similar situation one time many years ago. I had an old tractor that the wasps built a huge nest on one of the fender wells.

I was able to park my pick-up close enough to the nest to be able to get the nozzle of the sprayer out the window of the truck. I had a couple of shop rags that I used to fill in the space between the top of the window and the frame. I stuck the nozzle out the crack in the window and let 'er rip. I flooded the nest. Had wasps all over the window and the truck. When I finished spraying, I cranked up the window as much as I could and drove a few miles to blow all the wasps off the truck. I didn't go back for a few days and when I did all the wasps were gone.

Feedman, Carl and glenmorebuckman like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Whatever you do, do it at night... Gives me the willies just thinking about it. How's your son after the stings? Those hurt!

8. glenmorebuckman

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    He cried for a good half hour and I don't blame him. I've been stung before by them and they do hurt. We gave him Benadryl and kept ice on it so it didn't swell to much.
    I think I have come up with a plan of attack that doesn't involve carpet bombing. Thinking about connecting a can of fogger to the end of a 12' piece of pvc pipe and setting it off then ramming it up into the hole. Almost like a Bangalore torpedo! If that don't work. maybe Tannerite!!

TripleGee, Dark Cloud and timer like this.
  9. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

If it is the big yellow european type hornets, DON'T DO IT AT NIGHT!! They are attracted to any light source at night, i.e. your flashlight or spotlight.... Late evening when it is getting dark but light enough to see. They are tough buggers. Gotta spray the tree multiple times to get them all and then u better try and seal up the entry as they will come back.

10. glenmorebuckman

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    That's the ones!!!! Your right about them being attracted to light. I can remember many a night fishing trip being interrupted by hornets around the lantern.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You mess with them things much ,they’re bad, my son had them thing in the eve of his house last year, he bombed and sprayed, never got completely rid until it got cold, we took soffit loose and tore what was left of the nest out.Those thangs would drop out of to trees ,if you got close to the nest.Seems like they all die when it gets cold ,except the queen and she hibernates ,best I can remember ,but could be wrong though. They’re bad little devils ,good luck with getting rid of em.

barney and glenmorebuckman like this.
  12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Those things are plain evil!!!! We had them all over the place a couple of years ago... One came in the front door before daylight one morning & chased me thru the house. Tripped/flipped over the loveseat trying to get away from the da** thing & tore my left tricep. Permanent injury that has played heck with my ability to shoot & hunt... Best of luck to you!

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I talked to my friend about this. He's an exterminator.... He said to sit and watch them going in and out of the tree. Make sure it is one spot. Then, quietly after dark, with no light if possible, wrap the tree with several layers of saran wrap. Seal off the hole completely. Use duct tape or whatever to seal the edges so they can't get out. Then, punch a hole in the saran wrap with a small nail, or something similar. Just big enough to let the fogger nozzle in. Use a fogger that says it will kill bed bugs. He said that will kill the hornets. Fog the hell out of it, then seal that hole back up.

Manhattan likes this.
  14. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Have a water hose on stand by , take a pump sprayer and soak the inside of the tree and fill hole with rags and set a blaze the smoke will travel up the hollow part killing em all a d if it gets crazy ya got a water hose to control it

TripleGee likes this.