WOW!!!! The woods went wild Sunday....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Just a odd 6, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Just a odd 6

Just a odd 6 Fawn

Nov 2, 2005
    Taylorsville Ky
    Just a note before I tell my story...Gun season started too early this year, the rutt is just starting in Spencer County...

I started heading to my property sunday, running a little late but would still get there before sun up when I realized I forgot something at my house...Well, I thought that would blow my morning, since I didn't get into my stand until 730am...In walking to my stand I kicked up one Deer I didn't see and 4 does I did see...Again, I thought...there goes my day..NOT YET..830 rolls around and a buck beds down in a field just across from my property...855 a small 8pt walks infront of me, I stop him, he gets spooked and goes back the way he came...there goes my day...NOT YET...Broke for lunch @ noon and got back in my stand by 1:30pm...3pm rolls around and now I have a big buck coming up behind me...I have a small lane where he came through and missed the window to nail him cleanly(I will never take a bad shoot)...I try to call and rattle him back, no luck, he went up the ridge....Well, there goes my day...NOT YET...5 minutes later that big buck pushes a small 8pt off the ridge...I couldn't help myself and took him down at 20 yards...I thought my luck was getting thinner by then..Field dressed him and back in my stand by 4pm...I saw one more big doe before the day ended...In total, I spooked up one Deer, saw 4 bucks and 6 doe...The woods were freaken crazy Sunday...I hope some else had/has an experience like that...I'll never forget that....WOW!!!! come on retirement....

I have a question to end with...I going out of town for the holidays...how long can I hang my Deer..I typically try to go 3 days...Will 6 days in the garage be ok????

2. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    Man 6 days would scare me. Depends on the days high temps and well insulated your storage area is I would think. Regardless I would personally hate to go 6 days. I let mine hang 3 like you usually do.

3. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    if its cold like it was last week your should be ok for 6 days but not to much longer than that...but its not lookin like its guna be freezing this week

4. Ship For Brains

Ship For Brains Fawn

Nov 24, 2008
    What do you gain by letting a deer hang? I have always processed mine the same day they were shot

5. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Don't know if it is true, but from past experience it seems that if you let the deer hang for a few days the meat breaks down a little bit (more tender).

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Highs in the 50's would scare me. I saw some big flies out yesterday. I would skin it and put it on ice.

7. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    Amen! Too risky,IMO.
    ----Gnarly

8. Just a odd 6

Just a odd 6 Fawn

Nov 2, 2005
    Taylorsville Ky
    Thanks....

It's skinned and in the fridge....

9. The scout'n man

The scout'n man 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2008
    Pattyville, KY
    I get mine to the house ASAP. Then I hang it up skin it and it's in the freezer with in an hour! Never hung one! Plus they are a whole lot easier to skin when they are warm!

10. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Your missin out on a much better product in my opinion. I used to do the same as you until a couple of years ago. Give it a try sometime. May surprise you how much better it is.

11. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Got to agree, escpecially on older deer, I always ask the processer to let it hang as long as they can.

12. Ship For Brains

Ship For Brains Fawn

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for the links, that is some intersting reading. I will have to try it next time I have one on the ground and the temp's will be accomodating.