Wounded buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Huntertyler, Oct 16, 2021.

1. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I don't think it sounds like a fatal shot, but I'm guessing. My only suggestion was to call N. Spalding who is just a few minutes away from you in Nelson co. But it sounds like you've already done that. If it's dead her dog will find it.

Nock and Huntertyler like this.
  2. Huntertyler

Huntertyler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    It is Natalie Spalding that’s bringing her dog. Been talking back and forth and will be hoping for the best tomorrow

3. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good luck. Hope you find him. Sounds to me like you’re doing all you can. Got to give you respect for that. These animals are worth all the effort we can muster.

mudhole crossing and Huntertyler like this.
  5. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    start grid searching. Thats the problem with swhacker broadheads if you don't get a passthrough theres a good chance the blood trail will be bad. Don't mean he isn't dead. Had it happen to me just keep looking.

6. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Did he follow a trail up till the blood stopped? I have tracked deer in the dark that have stayed on well worn paths. Once the blood trail ended and looking around a little I would mark that spot. Coming back the next day I would find the deer within 35-50 yards from bloods end.
    Once the slows down to the brain they just start stubbing around in any direction.

7. Huntertyler

Huntertyler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Well we have it all we could. Natalie with tracking with timber net me and we went after the deer. Ending up finding the arrow and it had some fatty substances on it. Tracked him for 9/10 of a mile through thick and up hollers. We think the deer is still alive and that more than likely I hit no mans land just below the spine. She said the bright blood was consistent with a muscle hit. Her dog done fantastic work. Can now say I have exhausted all options. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes. Maybe I’ll get another chance at him

8. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Above the spine. He'll be ok

9. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Many years ago during gun season my father shot a buck with his 30/06. The deer dropped in his tracks. The distance was about 80 yards so he could not tell if the bucks chest was moving or not. After about 45 mins the buck jumped up and took off. Only about a cup of blood was in the spot where he laid.
    Late December on a bow hunt I set on the ridge above my father. As I always do about 11:00 o clock I eased down the hill to check on him. When I got there he had a big grin on his face and said you should see the size of the doe I just killed. I walked down the hill to check it out. There laid a buck that had dropped it's antler. It had a huge chunk of meat blown out of the back straps just behind the shoulders. Even after the trauma that buck stayed in his home area.
    So good luck with him on your next encounter.

woodsman92 and Huntertyler like this.
  10. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    My dad put an arrow right through one last year first week of October. Hit just below the spine. After the shot the deer actually came by my stand at 75 yards and just stood there until dark. We tracked blood but didn’t find him until I shot him chasing a doe second weekend of rifle season. Wound still looked pretty nasty but overall he appeared real healthy.

predator1 and Huntertyler like this.
  11. Huntertyler

Huntertyler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Yeah I’m hoping he survives the hit. I spoke with my buddy who is with fish and wildlife and asked what should I do if in a few weeks I’ve killed a different buck and find this one. He said a warden would have to come and inspect it but I’d get a carcass tag. Hopefully that doesn’t happen and I get another chance at him like you did. Hate wounding one

12. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    got a picture?

13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Key word...above.

xilk123 and Meatstick like this.
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wildman will tell you, there's no such thing as "no man's land".

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Below the spine, there isn't.
    download (6).jpeg