would you....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by skin_dog1, Dec 16, 2007.

Would you turn someone in if they shot a doe illegally, but didn't have much money?

1. Yes, they broke the law

66 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No, you gotta eat

149 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Well, it's been a long thread, but I think we have a general consensus that it really depends on the circumstances. . .

When I originally started reading this thread, I focused my attention on the original poll question: "Would you turn someone in if they shot a doe illegally, but didn't have much money?"

The short answer to this question for me was "yes" (probably), b/c "not much money" is a pretty relative phrase.

Scratch pointed out that Skindog actually added a second wrinkle in the opening post. . .

"Would you turn someone in if they shot a doe illegally, but they didn't have much money and they really needed the food?"

This added the extra dimension of "true need" into the equation. If I truly knew that the guy was "really needy", I probably wouldn't turn him in.

Again though, it really depends on where other mitigating/aggravating factors were present. Was he on public land or was he trespassing? Even though poor was he hunting instead of working to "put food on the table"? Did I think that this was really his only means of obtaining food? Did I think this was a one-time thing, or was the guy just using his poverty as an excuse to ignore game laws. For example, if the guy shot the deer during the season and he told me he had been hunting for 2 weeks straight before he shot the doe, I'd probably turn him in, b/c it would be clear to me that he was just using the "put food on the table" excuse to hunt instead of work.

Somebody asked whether we'd turn in a guy rummaging through a dumpster? Another twist on that hypothetical would be whether you'd turn in a homeless guy that you saw shoplifting in a store? Would you turn him in if you caught him stealing tools out of your shed (or as someone else asked, stealing your treestands to sell them for food)? The possible circumstances we could dream up are endless, and our answers would probably change with them.

In the end, I think that the prior posts are probably right for most of us that it just depends on the factors and scenario in front of us at the time.

2. newshooter05

newshooter05 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    bowling green ky
    wellllllllllllll

i figure this question and the answers proves what i already knew. people can do about anything if they can justify it.poor or rich, hungry or not, a man is still a man and being a thief is not in a mans make up.

why kill a deer , why not rob a bank or person to feed em.once u start doing wrong it is easily to justify doing it again.
    david

3. Robbing a bank, Stealing a tree stand, breaking into a house whatever it is, are all crimes against man. Killing a deer is just that killing a deer. No matter how you try to spin it they do not belong to you. They belong to all of us, even the guy who can not afford tags, borrowed a gun and shot a doe on Sunday evening after working for his neighbor in tobacco all day. Because he lost his job to a illegal down at the factory last month. All of the paper work has not been done for food stamps. And since they found out that he got paid buy his neighbor will probably be denied now.
    I can see that the majority of people would not call them in that gives me hope that most on here are rational thinking people. The 33% that would need to get there priorities in check as well as open there eyes that some people out there are having it tough. And clearly having it harder than you can even imagine. Why would you want to make things harder for the guy. Call social services, like thats doing him a favor, loose his kids have them put in foster care. We here so many stories about bad foster parents that sounds like a good idea. Can't afford to feed them, can't afford a lawyer to get them back.
    I agree with most that it would depend allot on the circumstances but as the question was posted I think the only ethical answer is no. I know that is the only answer that would allow me to sleep at night.

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Uhhh, no comment. :rolleyes:

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Would anyone change their mind on the original question, now that it has been debated to death?

6. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Great post, man. Especially the part about getting someones kids taken away because they have fallen on hard luck. Also, I agree people need to comprehend that it is JUST A DEER.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

When he's caught poaching, he'll likely be incarcerated because he can't pay his fine, he'll get to eat. Most likely his family will be taken care of and be enrolled in the programs that he should have gotten them into before he did the crime. Don't do the crime, if you can't afford the time. you keep saying it's just a deer but it's not. It's just a start. A deer won't feed this guy or his family for life, so he's got to continue poaching or do what he should have done to start with.

8. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Yes. Poaching a deer to feed your family is the first step on the path to armed robbery. Just like drinking beer is the first step to being addicted to heroin.

9. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    Yeah...what you said...well put:cool:

10. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    Well, after reading all the post, all the arguments, I would still answer the orginal question the same way I did when first reading it, No. With all the ethical and moral stories of what we would and wouldnt do, nobody really knows what they would do untill put in a situation. Who am I to judge someone who poached a deer illegaly when the whole story is unclear. Dont get me wrong, I believe people that poach just to be poaching should be brought to justice. Yes there is social programs that him and his family could enroll in, but that takes time, people slip through the cracks on both sides of the spectrum. The system is not perfect. This is just me, but I couldnt sleep at night if I seen someone poach at DEER, confront them, hear a story about how is family is hungry and needs food, and still report him. Who knows if I right or wrong, or if he's right or wrong. The debate could go on forever!

11. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    I dont know about right or wrong ...But in looking at the poll....YOU would have the most freinds:cool:

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    You're kidding me? You've never heard that line before?

With the trespassers I've caught in the past, that line is pretty standard fare. It usually comes out right after they figure out the "old farmer over yonder gave me permission to hunt here" or "I'm lost" excuses ain't working. .

13. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    Hey, GSPonGrouse, tenntucky, kyhunter79 and others, let's put your money where your mouth (keyboard) is. How bout it!!:D

Mods, could this be set up?

14. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    I would fit more in the needy category.

15. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    I'll match ya..get it set up.:)