Would you have taken a shot?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DeerSkinner3742, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    161.JPG

Had a broadside shot Saturday at 30 yards and passed,now I think I made a mistake. Would have been my first buck with a bow.

2. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Heck yea I would have taken the shot if it was my first buck with a bow. My first was a button buck but my first racked buck was an 8 point not as big as him,I would have shot a spike it it had come along though .

3. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    You made the right call. when in doubt dont shoot, he's still there!

4. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    Practice. i shoot 3 pins on a mathews setup. i shoot 30, 50 and 70 yard pins, from 312fps. start shooting unrealistic distances, stretch the limits of your equipment and your talent. stretch them, but dont break them. i shoot all year long, practicing vastly on my 50 yard shots. make the short shots (30 yards or less in my case), look easy. Almost any new bow, (less than 3-4 years old) is capable of golf ball size groups. With the consistency and technology of that, its up to the shooter to stretch it to the max.

me personally, il make an open 30 yard shot look like a put on the green with tiger woods. but only shoot what you practice but practice alot. i shoot around 300 arrows a week. it takes confidence to make those shots.

5. bcdh1

bcdh1 12 pointer

Feb 1, 2006
    If it was what I wanted I would have taken the shot, as long as it was within 40 yards. Don't have a pin for anything farther that is sighted in accurate enough to shoot. If 20 i your furthest you are comfortable with, don't shoot past 20. If you don't have a 30 yarder then you made the right choice. If a booner walks by at 50 for me, I hope to see him again, but know that he will still be there instead of wounding and making his rack go to crap or not recovering him and him expiring.

6. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    I'm not sure he was talking about passing on the shot, but passing on the deer. If so, that can only be your choice, but being that it was going to be your first deer and I was in the same situation, I would have tried to take him. The good thing is that he is still out there and if you cross paths, you might have to ask yourself that question again.

7. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    never second guess your self. you decided to let him walk. tomarrow you may just see his daddy. who knows? one thing is for shure young deer alowed to grow for another year usualy get bigger.

8. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    That deer looks pretty good. Being a bow kill I would have gave him "the red carpet treatment"

Your call though.

9. dbd870

dbd870 6 pointer

Jun 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Only you can make that call for yourself. Would I shoot it - yep.

10. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I'm sure you're quite the cat's meow when it comes to archery shooting, but I don't think Deer Skinner was saying he was incapable or unconfident in taking a 30 yard shot. I think he was simply suggesting that he was waiting on a "bigger" buck and is thinking to himself, in hindsight, that he made a mistake by not killing him.

Deer Skinner - I wouldn't sweat it. You hesitated when you had a chance to shoot him. That tells me that you would've had shooter's remorse if you had whacked him. Good things come to those who wait, and even if you don't kill a bigger buck this year, you'll know that you passed on a nice buck. If you want to shoot mature bucks, you've got to let those 2-3 year olds walk past.

Remember, it's a long season. You won't regret your choice.

11. Bowhunter19

Bowhunter19 6 pointer

Feb 1, 2009
    Murray, Ky
    Very well put buck fever... I second that. If you look and second guess should I shoot or not shoot the answer is always no. The ones that you dont think twice about is the one you are after. Although I would have to say that would be an awesome first bowkill buck. Keep after it. Who knows what you will see in the weeks to come. Good luck

12. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was talkin about the deer not the shot. I figured I had alot of season left and with my vacation the week before gun season. we'll see in January if i made the right decision.

13. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    January? Wait until next fall. If he lives, I guarantee that he'll put on at least 20".

14. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    It all depends on how comfortable you are at shooting at 30 yards. For me 30 yards would be my limit.

15. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky

Kill what makes u happy. I have already tagged out with my 125 8pt. There are bigger deer on my farm but it was my biggest bow kill todatw an im happy with him an he will look great on my trophy wall. I love 8pts. Besafe hunt hard an have fun