Worm medicine for dogs

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Strutter, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    What do you use to rid a dog of worms? Vet can't see him for 2 weeks for some reason. Anything OTC or home remedy work to get rid of them. Seems like years ago you could buy it at the vet but now it takes a vet visit and full workup to kill worms. $$$$

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Safe-guard goat de-wormer (Fenbendazole) is probably your best bet. You can find it at TSC or Rural King. It’s in a liquid form.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MIsuu9-cb27gIVyEXVCh2u9QNBEAQYByABEgLAWvD_BwE

The dosage for Safeguard Goat De-Wormer is 1ml/cc per 5 pounds body weight.

If it were me I would de-worm the dog three days in a row then skip a month and do it again for three days.

From my understanding worms have 3 life stages so you’ve to treat all stages to kill them out. Just like with fleas.

Now I’m not a vet, so you’ll be doing this at your own risk. I will say this is what I use on my hounds and the same advice I give to folks that ask my opinion. I’ve never had any trouble with Safe-guard on dogs or pups.

Safe-guard is extremely safe to give to dogs or puppies. It’s a broad spectrum de-wormer that’s the most cost effective in my opinion.

Edit to add: Safe-guard won’t kill out the flea tapeworm or heart worms. If the dog has flea tapeworms then I’d treat specifically for tapeworms.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Look at ivermectin. you can order it online and be there in a couple days. Read up on it though. May not suit your needs.

KYBluegill, Trapper Delk and Deadbeat like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Happy Hound dewormer you can get it from the mill.

5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I have bought stuff at Tractor Supply when I found a tapeworm in my dogs stool. It was a single dose kills the eggs I think is how it worked.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Ivermectin is typically used as a heart worm preventative.

KYBluegill and muddhunter like this.
  7. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

Here you go. Hell this may be someone from this forum. This is the way we’ve done it.

Dark Cloud and KYBluegill like this.
  8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I think it be used on a host of parasites. No pun intended.

“Actually it was intended”

KYBluegill likes this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Your are correct. It does work on other parasites. There is some toxicity involved with Ivermectin that’s why I usually suggest Safe-Guard. It’s hard to mess up administering SG. Also we’ve had issues giving Ivermectin to collie-type dogs.

I use Safe-Gaurd 3 days in a row every other month. I also use Ivermectin once monthly for heartworms. They both work for me.

FOWLER2671, muddhunter and KYBluegill like this.
  10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    does it work on politicians?

barney and muddhunter like this.
  11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    If only it were that easy.

00noturkey likes this.
  12. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    what kind of worms?

G

carnivore likes this.
  13. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    The goat wormer mentioned above works well as well as horse wormer but gotta be careful with dosage. The ivermectin is also what I also used for heart worm prevention

Drahts, Dark Cloud and FOWLER2671 like this.
  14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    Well. plug bacca works sum for horses, raw cabbage also kills worms. horses like bacca, that part is easy, also cabbage, but they can only eat so much, i think its in the night shade family of plants. only if ya can find something dogs will eat, that also kills parasites.

15. BirdDawg

BirdDawg Fawn

Jun 7, 2020
    TN
    It all depends on the age, body weight of the dog and the type of worm. So identifying the worm is essential and knowing your dogs weight as well. I use these monthly as a preventive or if I note a dog with fleas. I work hard at prevention and for the past 10 years have had good results.
    you might want to read the links below as there is no sense me re-writing a book on the subject.

Flea Tape worms = Praziquantel- (search/google for Fish Tapes Forte by Thomas Labs) comes in 10 mg and 37 or 34 mg tablets?. "A vet will charge you $10-$37 per pill based on the MG of the pill, .. the above is the same stuff and you wont need a prescription from the vet to buy it if you google it under the off brand "fish tapes". Hell they use in fish ponds as well and you can buy bulks of it off of a reputable eBay source (look for the ingredient not the name on ebay). Only give it if they do have tape worms though. worms can build immunizes you know.
    Per this website here is the doseages
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/droncit-praziquantel-canine-tablets.html
    Go to the website and read, it has the dose's in a table. but google the "Fish Tapes" above and buy them as you may need the 10 mg or the larger pills but can buy more of them cheaper than at the vet.

as someone else posted the next one is a broad Spectrum wormer and an A+ in my worming arsenal.
    Pin, round, whip, and hook worms, Others?- - Fenbendazole (SafeGard for Goats) but I believe the above dose they mention is a little too much. But in all respects.... to each is their own right? I use 1 ml/cc per 10 lbs of dog. Vet even confirmed the doses I give. Just keep in mind that most wormers are paralytic meaning that it paralyzes the worm, not kills it. Thus it is still alive when it passes/craps out. so burn any crapped out worms as they most likely have eggs in them. and the worm eggs can live for over a year in all weather. Except fire! BTW burning worm crap stinks! might want to try lime powder and salts. bleach......
    pin worms are (can be) airborne contracted as well. So we are all screwed! even in humans.

Heart worms = Ivermectin 1% liquid for cattle - adult dogs should get 0.005 dose (per body wight) and I say the video is a little off in the measurements (a little hot) ...but I could not read the syring's ML and assume it was a 3 cc and dont know the dogs weight. But it does not kill the pooch obvously. But I say the hell with the calculation (why add the water?) and just count out the drops as there is a 0.003, 0.005, and a 0.0063 dilution formulas when dosing a dog. (1 to 2 drop per 10lbs at 1%).. Hell! I have witnessed a person dosing his dogs with 2cc at 1% raw Ivermect and they lived. But from what I have researched that is by far...way too much of an OD of Ivermect. Been dosing it at my levels for as long as I remember.
    Heart worms comes from Mosquito bites BTW.
    unless you want a dead Collie/lassie....Dont give it to a collie breed they cant handle it.
    Also dont give it to any older dog that has not been checked for heart worms
    ! Why? If the dog does have heart worms and you kill the worm in the heart and it detaches... well its going to act like a big blood clot to the heart or arteries and boom dead dog. you might want to read the link below as there is no sense me re-writing.
    Lastly, it also treats Mange mites (yes mange is a mite) and Ear mites as well.
    https://www.dogzhealth.com/ivermectin-for-dogs/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    barney likes this.