Work is asking me to move. Advice?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KyBucks10, Sep 9, 2014.

1. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    First off, I will mention that I absolutely love my job, and the company/family I work for. I have been here for just over three years, and they have treated me more than fair ever since I started. I've had annual reviews since I start working here, and I have gotten a pretty solid raise each time.

First raise (90 day review) - 7.7%
    Second raise (after the first year)- 10.7%
    Third raise raise (after the second year)- 9.7%

I currently live in Harrodsburg, and they are asking me to move to London. Granted, its only 1.5 hours away, but it would still require me uprooting my life and moving. They love my work ethic and experience, and they want me at the busier store so that I can help the company make more money. Moving would entail more responsibility for me, and a whole lot more of a workload. I have checked around at different apartments in London, (which by the way is nearly impossible to find a place that will allow a small dog) and rent prices are not going to be an issue. It is actually only $10 more per month for the complex I liked verses what I am paying now.

Here is the kicker. Marriage is on the table with my girlfriend. We are talking about getting married as soon as next summer. She is a hair dresser. If she uproots her life and moves to a different city, it will be catastrophic for her business. She will be starting from the ground and kissing the last 5 years of her hard work building up her business goodbye.

Now, I know it is not my companies problem to supplement her lost income with a higher income for me. I have, however, made to known to my boss that her loss of income is my biggest concern. Today, he hit me with a number for my potential move. If I move - 7% increase. If i took that, and she moved down next summer, we will be more than kind of struggling. I don't feel like I can logically accept that low of a raise when I have to look at what she will lose in the coming years. Again, I know that is not my companies problem to deal with. Its mine. That is why I am seeking advice. From my standpoint, what would be a fair increase that I should ask for? I don't want to get laughed at or have my company look down on me because "I think I'm worth so much". I would like it to be a little more comfortable for us in the beginning while she builds her clients back up in the new city, but I know I can't put that burden on my company. I would just like a little more than 7%.

Thoughts?

2. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    There's no such thing as a hard decision. You just don't like the decision you've already made.

3. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I wouldn't move parking spots for 7%. That's just me tho.

4. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

I don't know what you do for a living or how old you are but I would think around 10% would be the minimum offer I would even consider, especially if there is more responsibility and all. 2 other things jump out at me on your Post, the first is your plan on getting Married, marriage is tough at first to begin with, let alone adding a move and new job into the mix. What does the future wife think?
    Second thing is I notice you seem to be working for a "Family" Business. My Wife is in the Optical business and has worked for a couple of Family owned companies. While she was treated very well by the owners, the Family members got better raises and were not Licensed or as knowledgeable as she was. She ran into a brick wall after a few years both in advancement and pay(she now works at a Hospital), you will always just be a Worker to them no matter what.
    You have a tough decision in front of you, is there a chance you will suffer there at work if you say no thanks to the offer?

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I'm not sure what business your in or role. Maybe sit down with the boss & see if their interested in letting you bounce between locations & provide a company vehicle & if needed a stay in a hotel each week.

6. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    10 characters since all of my post is within the quote...

7. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky

That wouldn't be a terrible idea, but for my position (inside salesman) it would nearly be impossible. Although, I would like to do something like that. It just wouldn't be feasible.

8. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

25! :eek-new: What could be better than getting in on the ground floor? You have years and years ahead of you if this should not work out. Sounds awfully tempting, really.

9. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    take the job and move halfway in between. Have the future wife start building clientele on weekends in london and slowly wean off the current clients. Good luck! Working for a comnpany that cares for its employees and rewards hard work and dedication is worth a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I was a retail store manager for 14 years. The best decision I ever made was to insist on NOT moving. I watched peers of mine chase the money and saw their salaries increase by tens of thousands at a time. Maybe it's what they needed or wanted, but for me...my roots run deep here and I stayed put. Never seemed to hurt my career and in fact, in the long run I know it helped. I didn't get used as much as others I saw.

Whatever you decide, I hope you don't strictly look at the money. Theres more important things.

Also...don't sell yourself short. It sounds like they respect your work and genuinely care about you. If that's true, they won't look down on you for respectfully requesting better compensation for uprooting you and your fiance'.

From everything I read in your original post, it sounds like it will:
    Create stress between you and your fiance' (change = stress)
    Create an undo financial hardship on your fiance's business
    Create an undue financial hardship on you
    Take you away from a place you don't want to leave

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If there is a future in the company, and you intend to stay there, It makes sense to move and get the experience. Show them you can handle the new responsibilities and do a good job. Many times things change and new opportunities open up with experience. The move might even get you opportunities you don't even know about yet, and maybe even from another source. You are only 25 and I assume you don't have kids, so get the moving over with now because the older you get, the harder it is to move. It is still Kentucky after all...it's not like you are going to Alaska.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I'd be asking for a relocation package. 7% of your salary but nothing up front is letting them off easy. If they really want you to move, they will pay for it. I know people who got relocation packages upwards of 6 digits. While that may be a stretch given the position, it would not be out of the ordinary to negotiate for some kind of relocation package in general.

13. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I made a similar but shorter move last year from Danville to Berea. I drove for a year to make sure it was going to work out. My wife was driving down to London 2X a week with her medical practice and we considered moving. Then, a hospital buyout occurred and she lost 80% of her work in that area. Glad we waited a year and commuted.

Anyhow, if you start looking at places off 150- in the Crab Orchard/Brodhead area you will split the difference. You can take 150 down to I-75 and be in London in 20-30 minutes. You can also take 150 back to Danville then up to HBurg in about 30 minutes.

14. KY Helim

KY Helim 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2014
    My suggestion was also gonna be move halfway in between. From somerset I can be to london in 25 mins and probably Harrodsburg in 35.

15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Move half way and get the best of both worlds. At 25 i was driving 1 hour each way and it didnt bother me i did it for 20 yrs. Buy a beater car easy on gas and ask for atleast 10 percent.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk