Woodcock?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Oct 9, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm a beginner (Virgin sounded way too gay!) What indicators do you look for to know they should be showing up in our area?

My dogs are un trained labs. Could not find any scent for Woodcock so I will probably just tramp through possible spots hoping to flush one to shoot for them.

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    When season opens is usually always timed with migration. I don't see anything different this year.Weather like this will help. Bad thing about Ky woodcock is deer rifle season is when you need to be hunting them. Last year was a woodcock year for Ky. I don't think they left from 17. I trained on woodcock all summer. Was helping a buddy track a deer the first week of deer rifle. Spread out in a 100 yard wide thicket, between us we got 9 up.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Always jump them in gun season around here.
    And there's no rhyme or reason as to where they're sitting in my experience. Nothing like a quail or grouse.
    These sumbitches just sit on a leaf on the ground and blow out

FOWLER2671, bondhu and 120+ like this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We used to get them up when we were quail hunting fairly often. Seemed to be in damp, woody areas. Never shot one. Are they good to eat? I could have shot a bunch over the years, just never did.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    I have shot a few over the years while either quail or rabbit hunting. Usually in damp, woody bottoms.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Used to jump a lot in the Eastern part of the state around old ponds and between the top and first bench of reclaims when rabbit hunting.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Just got back from Michigan a few days ago. Woodcock are on the move south already. Could have caught several by hand if I would have been quick enough. We usually find a bunch while quail hunting in the eastern part of the state. Damp, woody areas are the best bet. They won't usually be in big timber. Find a younger hardwood cut or anywhere around a creek or river bottom and they should be there. There are a few that stick around on the way back north in the spring. Otherwise the migratory birds should be arriving in good numbers by the end of the month through deer gun season. Depends on the weather. It is a pretty neat sight to watch them fly in at day break when they are on the move. Many times I have found 30-40 birds in a spot one day and nothing the next day in the same spot. They move in and out quick. Look around any water puddles in dirt roads in the early mornings. That will give some indication if any birds are there. Should be some tracks, splashing (where they crap), and will look like someone stuck a #2 pencil into the mud several times. They are a lot of fun to train pups on. Too bad there not as fun to eat. Real dark meat with a strong liver taste. Some people like them. I can count on 1 hand the number of people I have met that will actually eat them though.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yes, and when they blow up while you are still hunting deer it's enough to give you a heart attack. I jump many during gun season on old strips. I've even stepped beside a few and seen them before they explode. This past turkey season I jumped several in a 10 yard span.

9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If you like cheap hot dogs made from earthworms, you'll love them.LOL
    They are like a dove if you need your meat to be well done don't bother with them. Cook to med rare no more than medium very tasty earthy tasting so pair them with mushrooms , wine and root vegetables. If shot up bad they make a really nice patta for a winter get together. Guest will ask what did you make this from when you say woodcock they usually skip a beat.

Gforcetrivers and FOWLER2671 like this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    blech. I don't like doves. Glad I never killed any of them.

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

12. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Reading the Ruffed Grouse report was eye opening! To migrate 500 miles in the dark in one night for a bird that size is incredible!!

I would be wore out riding in a plane for that far at night.... Can't imagine flapping wings for that distance!

HCDH66 likes this.
  13. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    They are a very unique little bird.

bondhu likes this.
  14. JoeTal

JoeTal 6 pointer

Apr 22, 2010
    Louisville
    Woodcock are amazing bird to hunt. It’s the season I look forward to the most and study up on the most.
    Key is finding good habitat. And hitting the migration.

FOWLER2671 and HCDH66 like this.