Woodcock migration

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by spotterky, Oct 24, 2018.

1. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    It is that time of year again! Please post your findings and maybe we will have some decent shooting this year.

2. 12 ga.

12 ga. Spike

Oct 24, 2003
    Frenchburg,Ky.
    Full moon, they will be moving

3. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Heard of some decent report up north. Not peak yet by any means. Should be down this way in a couple of weeks. This cool weather will have them moving a lot.

4. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    So two Tuesday evening.

5. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    As Murphy's Law dictates, my setter got a pretty good laceration this weekend so I am going to be out of the hunt for a week or so, which might just be the peak of the migration. It is what it is. Hope ya'll find some.

6. sparky

sparky Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Raven, Kentucky, USA.
    Why would you have woodcock season open before they start migrating? Another brainstorm from Dept. of Fish and Wildlife!!

7. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    From running my dogs I think the peak of the woodcock are already throught the area. While tuning my dogs before I went to Michigan I moved a slew of woodcock and when I came back and ran the same areas I found just a scattered couple of them Some do winter over and I have pictures of my dogs pointing them while they sat on their nest.

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    There are local hatched WC in Ky Tn Va etc..they likely have moved on. the northern birds are probably not really here yet. IMO Big wind forecast this week could push northerns i n here.

Panther45 likes this.
  9. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    I do think we have more locally hatched birds that a lot of people realize. I think the migration from northern states should be in full swing. I am headed to Illinois this weekend for some pheasants this weekend but hopefully the woodcock will still be passing through next week.

10. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    I know for a fact we have more resident WC than most realize. There are several places that I can go to throughout the summer and into the fall, before the migration, that holds enough birds to get some really good dog work on. This is usually how I get my young dogs started.

bondhu likes this.
  11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Had no problem this year finding timber doodles to train pup on March through August

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Jumped one today in Madison county near Waco out checking cams.

13. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    I just got back from pheasant hunting in Illinois, and we jumped woodcock both days. My young dog doesn't seem to recognize them as a game bird, but hopefully if we can shoot enough over her she will figure it out. A buddy of mine went over the weekend here in KY and only found one bird along the KY river. Could we have missed it?

14. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    They probably all migrated to where GG lives. They would be safe there. :):D

15. JoeTal

JoeTal 6 pointer

Apr 22, 2010
    Louisville
    been moving plenty of birds this year....