Woodcock cover's

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by msu_hunter, Jul 22, 2013.

1. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd like to try and specifically target woodcock this fall before going for grouse. My question is where in far Eastern KY should one look? Creek bottoms, normal grouse covers up in the mountains? by lakes, ponds, etc. Also are the flights as heavy here as they are in central and western KY?

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I find plenty up on the reclaimed strip jobs. I think many are resident birds, but some probably are flight birds. They'll hang out in places that would be more suitable for quail, but woodcock seem to like it just fine.

3. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    During the migration they seem to be everywhere. Resident birds seem to stick to the same holes. I'll look for shady places with tighter cover to find resident birds.

4. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    I saw a hen with a 7 little ones following behind her in my driveway back in May, even the little ones had super long beaks, pretty neat to see. I never realized they nested around home thought they would migrate farther north for that.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The biologists maintain that they don't nest in Kentucky, but I see them all summer long in headlights as they hang out in the muddy two tracks.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yep, that's where I jump most of them. In the grass under the locust trees.

7. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I saw one just last week in some tall corn.

8. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Anybody ever hunt creek bottoms or low lying areas near lakes and pond's? I know I need to put down the boot leather but I just kinda wanted an idea of what I need to look for on this side of the state.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I find them there in February on the return trip North, but not so much in the fall.

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I seem to fine more in the fall on the reclaims an in grouse cover come February.

11. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    It's been my experience that they don't sit in the low lying creeks. It would seem that would be the easiest place for them to eat. I do better going up to a higher elevation and then looking down to find a shady sink-hole type area near the top of a hill. Usually on the North side of the hill. Locust trees are good to look for as well.

When I find them on reclaimed strips they are usually just over the edge of the hill near the top.

12. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    In Central Kentucky I find them anywhere there is damp soils with youg trees, vines, an briars.

13. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    I find them in the classic thickets along creeks as well as in the upland thickets. Young forest re-growth along the small and medium-sized rivers holds good numbers in the fall. My favorite upland sites are edges of power line right-of-ways where the sumac and young trees have formed good cover.

14. uplandman

uplandman Fawn

Jan 16, 2012
    It seems that most of the woodcock I find are also on the ridge tops where there is a transition of thick brush, Locost trees, and small clearings mainly on reclaims.

15. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    If water is near, it's the first place I search when cover is adequate. In fact, most of my goto spots have a slough, spring, creek or small pond nearby. On the other hand, woodcock can be found in areas one wouldn't expect to find them in. Knowing what cover to find them in is key. Eastern KY typically holds good numbers of birds throughout the season.