Wonderful time of year: Road Hunters...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBOY, Nov 12, 2016.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My property runs up on the edge of a strip job, thankfully there are no roads down on my place and its too steep for a bulldozer to climb down..Anyway all morning long that strip job sounded like a dirt track, usually about an hour after daylight when the road hunters get tired of setting in a stand they hit the 4/wheelers and utv's..It was constant back and forth for several hours..
    Just driving back and forth looking for a deer to snipe..I swear I think it gets worse every season..

2. Cullen bohannon

Cullen bohannon 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2015
    prestons-ville
    If gun season was moved out of the rut around end of November that wouldn't happen near as much

3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I agree. It does happen more often. I hate slobs who drive around and trespass and everything else that seems to get worse during gun season. I like gun hunting but could do without a lot that goes with it.

Cullen bohannon likes this.
  4. Cullen bohannon

Cullen bohannon 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2015
    prestons-ville

It's Really getting hard to enjoy it anymore. I love seeing it get here but at same time hate the things that come with it

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I had permission to hunt that big strip on top of Cow Mountain, I was the only person that had ever stopped and asked the old man to hunt(he said)..Every rifle season it looked like a punkin' patch just driving by the road..
    Drive by any strip job right now and you will see no less than half a dozen(often more) 4/wheelers and utv's(with at least two people on each) just driving back and forth across the strip glassing the hillsides and bottoms..
    Ill be the first person to say hunt how you want but come on? they could at least not shoot them off the back of a vehicle :rolleyes:

6. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    We hunt possibly the best farm in the area. Its remote, thick, cropped and few hunters. But the neighbors drive atv and utvs the entire property line, looking for anything to shoot, from 4:00pm til dark. They listen to radios and drink beer all afternoon. Its a real hassle, its like they are just trying to ruin hunts on the neighboring farms. We hunt the farm all of bowseason, and set up food and stands accordingly, and await the neighboring idiots to ruin our hunts. So we pack everything and move on to lesser quality areas of the farm to get away from them. Last year, we were set up and one drove by the stand, (100 yards from property line) and guy stopped the atv, got off opened a beer, and yelled/whispered to his buddy, "theres somebody up there" and pointed to us. Might as well have put up neon lights and billboard. seen ZERO deer that day... Really disappointing.. I know we are all free to do what we want with what we own, but there should be some simple laws or regulations for being a jerk/idiot.

7. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

My wife shot a buck yesterday with a bullet hole through his ear.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The road warriors are out in force again today:confused:

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Get the popcorn ready...here we go again. Cullen would you be willing to give up archery hunting during the rut time frame you seem to want firearms out of ?

10. mustanginky

mustanginky 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2011
    louisville KY
    My grandpas inbred dumbass neighbors spotlight and kill deer on his property with firearms before gun season anyway so moving gun to late november still wont stop it. Waiting on the county CO to deal with it now.

11. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I've been looking for a few years for a strip job in my home town of pike, to lease and keep trespassers out. I've hunted several. And it ain't worth it. I have worked trying to keep people out of there road hunting. They took trucks and pulled the steel gates I installed out of the ground. It's just a headache dealing with them.

12. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    Road Hunters are just another lazy form of scum and I'll agree gun season needs to be moved up to the end of Nov/Dec. Yeah people will poach no matter what but moving gun season up would help our herd in quantity and quality in so many ways it wouldn't be funny and I still don't like telepoach.

13. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    So, using cites from appropriate scientific papers and studies, can you show me how the herd would benefit from gun season being moved to after rut?

Being a (literal) student of fisheries/wildlife science, I'm always interested in learning a bit more about the subject. I'm hoping to get a job as a wildlife biologist when I retire from this job. I'll graduate with a B.S. in the aforementioned field next year, and I know that the degree is just a foundation in the field - I'd love to see the science behind things like this...helps me learn more about the field, even though I'm specializing in migratory waterfowl and wetlands conservation.

14. jsc3150

jsc3150 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2004
    Lexington
    My in-laws own both sides of the road and I battled road hunters and trespassers all weekend. Saturday morning I was in my stand which is placed so that I can monitor the road and a blue 4 door car comes slowly driving down the road. It stops, window comes down and out comes the rifle. I yelled at them and they sped away. In the next 15-20 minutes there were 2 more vehicles that stopped in the same location. I had enough was going to get out of the stand and patrol the road. When I got out of my stand and looked behind me 150 yards to the next point on the ridge where the deer typically bed, there stands a hunter. I hollered at him and he just waved, I yelled back and ask him where he was supposed to be hunting and he took off over the hill. During the evening, I sat back in the edge of the woods just off the side of the road opposite this hillside and videoed 7 different road hunters with my phone. Sad part is 2 of them were on ATVs and had there small kids teaching them how to road hunt. Unfortunately this is one of the counties without a Conservation Officer.

15. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    This makes me sick to my stomach and people don't realize and how many buck are taken by road hunters during the rut. I could have a killed a 160+ buck off of a back road yesterday. You'll never see these types of buck during daylight hours unless the rut is on. Would love to see gun season moved up.