Wonder if Tony Stewart will get out of this one?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by mrdux, Aug 10, 2014.

1. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I agree with trust me. That video did not show Stewart making any type of move towards Ward. I also didn't think Stewart was too high up the track. He was nowhere near the wrecked car. I feel bad for the family, but the kid shoulda stayed in his car. He was prolly racing Stewart harder than anyone else on the track and Stewart rode him high and put him in the wall.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY

Nope. My son doesn't race. Furthermore, my son is smart enough not to play in traffic.

3. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Clearly, I missed that post. I still find it very plausible that in gunning the engine, he was actually trying to avoid the guy...not hit him. The car's back end moved away from him when he gassed it, which seems counterintuitive, but it does, possibly due to whatever banking the track has...Which, btw, may have contributed in the guy getting too close. Visibility is terrible in dirt cars, too. I'm not a Stewart fan, but he's one of the best ever and I do not believe he hit the guy on purpose. I do believe that it would be instinctive to try not to, and that TS knows better than any of us how to do just that. I believe TS saw him at the last instant and did what he, instinctively, thought was best. It also looks like the front tire either hit him or barely misses.

I don't have a dog in this. Just stating MHO that it looks like a tragic accident and that TS did not do anything wrong.

Flame on.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    It may have been mentioned but right after he hit the kid, there is a blue car going real slow down low and it looked like the driver before Stewart went a little higher than low and then Stewart did his thing. May have been an avoidance that was out of the picture. Benefit of the doubt and all.

5. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I just watched the video a couple of times, and the wreck didn't even look like it was Stewart's fault. The kid didn't have enough room to take him on the outside, but he tried to squeeze in there anyway.

As far as the hit, I don't see how you can charge Stewart with anything. The kid got out of his car, in the middle of a busy racetrack, and intentionally put him self in harms way to confront another driver. From what I saw, I think that blue and white car just ahead of Stewart had a lot to do with this accident.

Stewart wasn't anywhere near the wrecked car, as the kid came well over half way down the track to confront Stewart. It looks like, to me anyway, that the car ahead of Stewart was shielding the kid from Stewarts view, and the kid jumped down even lower on the track as soon as that car passed.

This seems to me to be a tragic accident where a kid let his hot-head get the best of him, and he paid the ultimate price for letting his emotions cloud his judgment.

6. mrdux

mrdux Guest

It keeps me warm at night. Now, how about you mind your own business?

7. zone1

zone1 8 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Tony knew exactly what the car would do when he gunned it. He was going to cover Ward up with mud and it turned into a tragedy.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Watch that video frame by frame...the front tire got him. You can see his helmet going under right next to the front tire. Even if TS wanted to sling dirt on him, the guy didn't give him the chance by jumping in front.

9. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    I agree.....TS didn't see him till it was too late......he gunned the car to try and miss the guy........the guy was in the middle of the track it was poorly lit......it was a tragic mistake by the victim.........

10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Ii agree with Trust Me. Kid got out on the track trying to be a badass and got his self tenderized. End of story. Jumping out of the car wasnt gonna solve a thing and he paid the ultimate price for it.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    You don't gun it under yellow. Everybody else was trying to go low, Tony goes high then gooses it at the last minute? Knowing good and well he is under a yellow flag? Sorry but he is not innocent, he's going to be very lucky if a manslaughter charge doesn't come out of this.

It's not like he was driving along and somebody jumped out from under him out of the blue. It would be more like if somebody passed by multiple cop cars and an ambulance on the side of the road, then drove real close to a wreck they were tending to, goosing your engine at the last minute and sideswiping somebody. That's not being innocent. You knew good and well something was going on and could have done more to avoid it, but no, you had to be an antagonist and somebody is dead because of it.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's my deal with whether it was intentional. I'm sure everybody here has crossed a road that had traffic on it. When you do, you can get close enough to actually slap a car that is traveling at highway speeds because you are aware of the projection it is taking and can time it right. It seems that this kid was trying to do just that, either yell or slap his car. For whatever reason, I think Tony changed the projection at the last minute instead of staying on a predictable course and the guy couldn't get out of the way. It would be interesting to see a wider camera angle to see what Tony was doing before he got to that car.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Kind of also sad that somebody has to resort to NASCAR tactics in a race like this and seemingly push somebody into the wall. These are amateurs on a hometown track, with open wheels. They can't take the same abuse and don't have deep corporate pockets for a new car if something happens. Why would somebody who is used to unlimited funds like that show up at a small track and proceed to run somebody with open wheels into a wall? I know it was said earlier that the kid tried something that he didn't have enough room for, but watch it again, Tony was low going around the curve and the kid was just fine at first. Towards the end of the curve Tony kept going more to the outside and forced the kid into the wall, the only way out of it would have been to slam on the brakes early on. There is no way Tony didn't know that car was almost right beside him when he squeezed into the wall. This move happens regularly in NASCAR.

14. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I agree with Mr. Dux and corrrndogy but that don't mean nuth'n.

Lesson to be learned...
    Every action or decision you make causes a reaction or consequence. You can't control others actions, so your best interest would be in controlling your own.

This can apply to both Ward and Stewart. Tony knows what happened and so does God....they'll work it out.

15. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY

Ahhyep, pretty much what it looks like to me, too.
    Get into it with T.S. And he will escalate immediately.
    Do any of yee actually believe his partial attention wasn't on the guy that he just wrecked, or that he didn,t see him pointing and marching onto the track. I call B.S.
    Did ts murder him? No.
    Is T.S. Responsible of manslaughter? looks pretty damning to me.
    There was an unsafe condition (man on the track) followed by unsafe action (deliberately driving to the unsafe condition, and kicking out the rear end)
    Did His moth to a flame, ready to rumble/wreckusboth rather than submit, juvenile, reactionary actions, greatly contribute to the death of a fellow racer? You Betcha it did, and The tracks will be much safer with his temperament gone from them, sad someone had to die first.