Wolves in Michigan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drakeshooter, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Uncle Ted is spot on here why not make a buck for the state in taxes, licenses and fees while opening up opportunities for private businesses that outfit hunters plus hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bars, etc. AND create some recreation for the citizens? No telling what the state spent on this hairbrained ‘turd idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-national-park-to-help-restore-population.amp

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    There's one feller from Michigan on here. (One of the few good ones there)
    He ran into the Big Bad Wolf while deer hunting in the UP. I think the wolves have eaten most of the Deer there.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Is this a case for SSS :rolleyes:

yote hunter and EdLongshanks like this.
  4. skruske

skruske Fawn

Oct 6, 2018
    Halfway USA
    That'd be me.

I hiked Isle Royale in 2011 for 6 days. The wolf population at that time was around 10 while moose were around 700. The Isle is a micro-ecosystem and is OVER MANAGED by the NPS. The NPS perceive humans as an invasive species on THEIR property.

While wolves -may- be needed to keep the moose in check, I have to ask, why not let nature take it's course? I won't hold my breath for a rational answer.

Wolves have been a very contentious issue on the main land for a long time. The population has "recovered" to such levels that voters approved a short hunting season. Despite that, the Humane Society went judge shopping to shut it down AND to relist wolves as endangered three separate times.

Wolves have destroyed deer hunting in the western U.P. I used to see 40-60 deer during the two week firearms season. Now, I may see 4-6.

I have encountered wolves twice while hunting. First time it was a single animal at about 40 yards. It circled me probably trying to determine whether or not I was food. It didn't present a threat so I left it to move off.

Last November i saw four at about 100 yards in deep snow. They were on a hillside across a ravine. They moved on but were headed right into an area i intended to hunt. It was first thing in the morning so I turned around in the opposite direction. I had to find another place to hunt for the day.

I can offer this advice. DO NOT ALLOW wolves to be introduced to Kentucky. You as hunters & sportsmen are up against a large lobby of greenies that likely includes your auto insurance companies and other pseudo-conservation organizations that are front groups for anti second amendment types. It only takes one sympathetic judge to "protect" wolves to the detriment of traditional land users.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wolves might not be a bad idea to help control the deer population in Zone 1 counties.
    Does anyone know how much it costs to get a wolf hide tanned

Meatstick, barney and JR in KY like this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They are not just in the UP. We had one run parallel with us in the LP one fall deer hunt near Gladwin. It crossed the log road about 30 yards in front of us and picked up speed going away. One heck of a big critter. I ask at the little country store by the campground/fire department if anyone had seen one in that area before and was told yes. And if we went out after dark we might hear it howl back on some state land east of the campground we were staying in.. They had heard it several times over the last month or so. We did and it did that same night. Make the hair stand up on the back of your neck knowing you are going to walk that same road in the dark next morning going to your deer stand.

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    They just air dropped four more on a island up there to control the moose. Probably the same island your talking about.

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I'm with you Feedman. If I wasn't so poor I cant afford a Bucket....A Wolf hide would be on my Bucket List. Thinking i may go Deer hunting with Skruske next winter....

Nock, Feedman and barney like this.
  9. Nock likes this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    drakeshooter likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If the moose are so overpopulated....why can’t they allow people to hunt them? Why wolves?!?

Feedman and drakeshooter like this.
  12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Because hunters are bad, mmmmmmkkkkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyy.

PETA says so.

Logically, the revenue generated by license fees, money generated from hunters going to/from the island and other ancillary revenue generated would make sense. But THE WOLVES NEED TO EAT!!!

drakeshooter and EdLongshanks like this.
  13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    One of the worst ideas ever in the history of wildlife management ( and there have been a bunch) is reintroducing an alpha predator to the lower 48 especially wolves.

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’d like to catch one.

Feedman likes this.
  15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    If you do, I'll buy the hide

Nock likes this.