WMA's

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Thomas Roberts, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Is anyone having any luck on WMA's? Not asking for anyone's honey hole location. Just curious if anyone is finding them worth messing with or is it better to find a lease or club.

2. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I've killed most of my deer on public land. They are absolutely out there. You just need to scout. Rough River Lake WMA is right near your location, and is open under statewide regulations. You also have Fort Knox less than an hour away. The nice thing about public land is that the landowner can't refuse to renew your lease, or let his cousin's neighbor come hunt your land. If you scout a bunch of areas, you'll always have somewhere to hunt, even if someone happens to be parked by your first choice for a stand location.

https://app.fw.ky.gov/Public_Lands_Search/detail.aspx?Kdfwr_id=30

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  3. Thank you! I'm planning to access and scout with my boat. From the maps I have they look like small lots on the sides of the lake. I'm not sure how far inland they go because the maps don't have much detail but as long as the land is marked off well by KFAW I can work with it. Thanks so much for the reply.

4. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Get OnX. It's an app that shows you exact property lines, and works even when you do not have cell phone reception. The cost is $30 per year, and well worth it, in my opinion.

5. Thank you! I've heard about it quite a bit. I'll definitely check it out.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yes I kill deer on wma’s . One pretty nice 10..
    It’s a lot of work I won’t lie but the deer are there..

7. Thank you!

8. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Ive seen quite a few deer on public land this year. I know about 3 locations I have consistently seen deer every time Ive went this year, but no monster bucks. Some decent deer though like some 2 year old 8 points and one 10 point thats prolly 17 or 18 inches wide, but his longest tine might be 5 inches. Public land is definetly worth hunting, its just going to take some extra work to hunt heavier pressured deer and getting into a spot other hunters are too lazy to access haha, then if you bag one you get the fun of dragging it back to the truck from that spot you found 2 miles off the beaten path haha

9. Haha, I have no problem workin for it. I actually would rather go in farther.

woodsman92 likes this.
  10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Anyone use Powderhook

11. Just downloaded OnX. Great app! Thanks again