WMA in Dist. 7 of KY.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    CSS I posted a thread on (deer hunting)to see how many deer hunters actuality hunt small game or turkey. I think most deer hunters hunt other game. Check it out.

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I absolutely agree that habitat is the issue here. Unless clearcutting becomes an accepted management practice, grouse are destined to decline. The real issue is to support the Forest Service and stand up to Heartwood for the wildlife justifications for timber harvests. That is where the most acreage of habitat potential exists and where most hunt grouse in KY.

I have no doubt that February hunting in marginal habitat is a negative impact.

I run into more grouse hunters in February than any other time, I rarely see another grouse hunter in other months, but typically end up going to other places than intended because someone is already hunting where I'd planned, when I go in February. In fact, I see more grouse hunters in February than I do turkey hunters in April.

I agree that most hunters hunt multiple seasons/species, that is why I think February grouse hunting is bad....much more pressure because it's the only thing open.

Edited by - CSS archer on 03/29/2002 10:18:41 AM

3. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

CSS, I don't know if you saw the post I made a few back that addressed a theory that is a little "outside the box", but I really feel is a more important consideration. Closing grouse season early, while cutting into available small game seasons with longer firearm deer seasons would have an adverse affect on grouse hunter numbers/support to the point of not having sufficient support to sustain grouse related habitat issues or research. Without this support, grouse habitat could simply mature to the point of not being able to sustain populations (especially on public land). So I really feel that February hunting is crucial for the future of grouse hunting in KY.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    CSS the habitat issue, is why out resolution went before the commission to begin with. The answer to the problem was shorten season by Roy & Jeff. If the grouse hunters, in this area beleaved that it would have solved the problem, we would have back it 100%. But we knew as you do, habitat is the problem. What I don't understand is why the department or Roy is against doing what it takes to improve habitat and grouse populations.
    I agree with your statement about the Danied Boone as far as Kicking Heartwoods --- and we're doing everything we can to help.
    While at the same time on eastern ky. wma's we have over 100,000 acres but the department attitude turns 180 degrees why. Food and habitat is the combination for any living thing to survive and multiply. The better the food and habitat the more we propigate. It's that simple. I hope people like you will stand up and voice their opinions on the habitat issue.

5. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    One of the problems with harvesting our eastern KY WMA's, is we don't own the large ones, they are usually leases with the Core of Engineers or DBNF, or mines. I think we can certainly justify from a wildlife perspective, some management or harvesting. We better have the t's crossed and i's dotted. There should be some areas left for "old growth" but if we have wma's as management areas we should do so or give up the property to parks or nature preserves.

Dr. Gassett is for proper management and I think we'll see some improvements in early successional habitat in the future.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    CSS the WMA's are core owned, and in eastern ky. lets take Paintsville. When the department signed the lease they agreed to do a forest mangement plan, some as wildlife openings, and some commercial harvast for regeneration of the forest, along with other management of the area. Nothing has been done,to amount to anything.
    I think your right about Dr. Gassett, if he has the opportunity.
    As far as th t's and i's go with the problems the forest service has had, Scott should have no problem taking care of business.
    And by the way have the smallmouth started bitting in the ky. river yet? If the weather is right we going to Dale Hollow on the 10th to do a show, we missed them in March.

Edited by - Birdman on 04/01/2002 2:25:47 PM