WKU allows guns in parked cars on campus

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by AteUp, Jul 29, 2012.

1. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Not sure if this was posted already.

http://www.wlky.com/WKU-allows-guns...pus/-/9366718/15821674/-/iil9uoz/-/index.html

Western Kentucky University's board of regents approved a change to the campus weapons policy to allow weapons in cars parked on campus following a state Supreme Court ruling.

The Daily News reported that the university previously did not allow any weapons or firearms anywhere on university property.

The Kentucky Supreme Court ruled in April that students and staff members at Kentucky universities may keep guns and other deadly weapons in a car, but the schools may continue to regulate them elsewhere on campus.

Deborah Wilkins, WKU's chief of staff and general counsel, said while the university administrators may not be happy about the change, she said it should not be the cause for concern among the campus community.

2. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Good for them, that's a step in the right direction.

3. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    thats a good thing since the gang bangers have them

4. Hmmmmm, proof that those of us that kept one in the glove box before were no harm to anyone....

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Go Tops!

Not that I haven't had one in the car anyway.

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    They pretty much had no choice, right? Seems like this is just a formality.

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Since about 50% of the streets on campus are public streets I don't see how they could ban them anyway. In their parking lots maybe.

I only parked in the commuter lot one year when a girl I worked with dropped out and gave me her parking pass. Otherwise I was hoofing it from the neighborhood behind Houchens. The parking lots are more trouble than they are worth with a 3/4 ton pick-up.

8. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Even in light of the recent Mitchell vs. UK decision, unless you are tenured faculty, it may be prudent to practice a discreet personal "don't ask - don't tell" policy.

9. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    When I went to WKU, I can remember guys having deer in the back of their trucks and campus police would stop to admire them and then watch them put their rifles behind the seat and never said a word about it. I wasn't aware they had a no gun policy in vehicles.

Mayes

10. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

It was always nothing more than an administrative regulation. If they knew you had one all they could do is ask you to leave. If you refused then it would be no different than walmart or any other private property, they could have you removed by the police and you could be charged with criminal trespass. That probably would make it kinda hard to go to school and graduate or work. Concealed carry would be the exact same thing.

11. wkucard

wkucard 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Louisville
    I kept my deer rifle, shotgun, and bow in both Pierce Ford Tower and Keen Hall when I attended WKU in the 1970's. Never had a problem...

12. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    I kept a series 70 Colt 1911 in my dorm room in Barnes Campbell until I moved off campus in the early 90's. My long guuns stayed in the vehicle.

Mayes

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I kept my bow in my dorm room and even practiced in the hall. We had to check our guns with the dorm director and get them on the way out. That was douglas keen hall in the early 80's

14. Dang, you walked farther than me. I parked on the streets surrounding campus. Walked less than I would have if I parked in the lots

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I kept a 20 gauge shotgun in my room at Poland Hall in the 70s. Would go squirrel and rabbit hunting on the weekends (unless there was a football game). Good way to supplement the food budget.

I remember seeing a guy on a ten speed bike sometimes on campus with a bolt rifle and scope slinged on their back....maybe that was you?

One guy had a German MP40.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012