winterize outboard?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by dug1976, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dug1976

dug1976 6 pointer

May 19, 2005
    richmond, ky
    What do you do to winterize your outboad? Run gas out? anything else?

2. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    change your lower unit oil

3. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Take your transom buddy/brace out and lower the tilt trim until the motor is completely straight up and down so no water can accumulate to freeze in the prop housing. If you keep fuel in your tanks, add some stabilizer. I also take the batteries out and move them in where they aren't sitting in the freezing weather all winter......

4. We used to run fogging oil in them, Im not sure thats still reccomended.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Drain your lower unit, two screws in the side, one lower, one upper. Buy some lower unit oil, comes in squeeze tubes, squirt it in the bottom hole until it comes out the top. A lower unit with a leaking seal with fill with water and freeze, busting the housing.

Keep the outboard trimmed down so the water drains out.

Store your fuel tank full and treat with stabilizer, run it for a minute to get the stabilizer in the fuel system. A full tank will accumulate less condensation than an empty tank. It just sucks to have to spend the cash to fill it up and not be able to use it for months.

6. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    Winterize!!!??? Who does that? after fishing season its on to duck season, then back to fishing season again! :)

7. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Run gas through it with Sea Foam stabilizer at least the last time I use it (if not always), put the lower unit all the way down so it will drain, change the oil (4 stroke), change lower unit grease, grease all the grease fittings ,spray contact cleaner on the fuse block, charge the battery, clean out the portable gas tanks and let them dry upside down. After they are thoroughly dry, put caps back on to keep out spiders, etc. In spring I drain the gas hose of all the gas that sat in it over the winter before I reattach it for starting.

8. AVENSTOKE

AVENSTOKE 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2007
    LAWRENCEBURG,KY
    I put coverall in my boat and it's winterized!

Trust me's tips are right on the money