Winter Green Manure and Food Plots

Discussion in 'QDM' started by rutnbuk, Jun 16, 2021.

1. rutnbuk

rutnbuk 6 pointer

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    Well guys, I know its a couple months early but, I am bored. My beans are in and coming up like gang busters, so now my attention is turning to August when I will be drilling my fall/winter plot into my beans.
    I wanted to know what you guys planted to feed deer during the winter but, to also improve your soil for next years crop. I have soybeans down and they will feed deer with the leaves during the summer and with PODS during the winter. However, I want to give them some green to eat, and at the same time be replenishing my soil.
    I am planning on planting a blend of Triticale, Oats, Spring Peas, Buckwheat, Crimson Clover, and Berseem Clover. I am also adding PT Turnips, Forage Radishes, and Rutabaga blend. Hopefully, this will complete both of my goals this year.
    Any suggestions? What have you guys had success with ?

2. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I know the cold tough on beans, but I thought about more soybeans in the ground in September for the fall winter. What's the latest you can plant soybeans for deer in the fall/ winter?

So I'm basically interested in the same.

Cover in a perrineal that would be good in the spring perhaps, but what's the point when I'm just going to to it under late spring for my garden?

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Wheat is a good cover crop, soil rejuvenator, and good food plot.

rutnbuk likes this.
  4. rutnbuk

rutnbuk 6 pointer

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    The first frost will kill those bean plants. If they are not planted in time to grow pods by the first frost then you are wasting time and money on beans.

5. rutnbuk

rutnbuk 6 pointer

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    Triticale is a hybrid of wheat and rye. My mix is 25% Triticale, 25% Oats.