Winter feeding: beyond the corn

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Nov 29, 2020.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    News flash. The deer will do just fine fending for themselves. No such thing as winter kill here.

3. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I didn't at anytime say winter kill, Im merely pointing out that some people feed to help the deer, not just get them into shooting position then go on about their ways the second deer season ends. I dont mean to offend anyone just appreciate those who do continue to supplement throughout the year

cedar ridge likes this.
  4. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

Agree. For me personally I try to do plots, minerals, etc on a 365 basis. One I like and enjoy it and two I try to give back more than I take.

I’ll be cremated someday and my ashes will be spread on the fields I harvested deer on. Call it karma

carnivore, kyhunter99 and bdl605 like this.
  5. GroundPound

GroundPound 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    Swamp Gulch
    3 acres buck forage oats, 4 acres standing corn, 1.5 winter wheat - tons of food, however even today the deer were still gorging on acorns

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    I lived on a farm once that was thick with deer. And ill only tell you what i saw. In january and february id find several dead bucks. Not from being shot.
    I fully and firmly believe that deer will deplete themselves in the rut especially with a big doe herd about. And because of the depletion of their body and competition for food some do perish from the cold.
    At minimum keeping good forage for them in the winter likely helps them be in better condition for better antler growth in the following year.
    Im thinking the attention to winter forages does matter perhaps more to a deer than any other time of year.
    Im enjoying these posts, i love that some of yall are passionate about it. And the ones that dont care for it, thats fine too. Just to clarify.

bdl605 likes this.
  7. wildcatfan

wildcatfan Spike

Dec 20, 2013
    3 acres turnips/daikon radishes, 3 acres winter wheat/winter peas/oats, 1/2 acre Pasja and 1 1/2 acre red/crimson clover which is worthless in the winter but huge in Spring for deer and turkey.
    I don't plant any of this because the deer HAVE to have them I do it because I want the deer to winter on my farm regardless of whether I still have a tag late season (I do this year) or not. I want the button bucks to grow up coming to my farm for winter food and someday they will be the bucks i'm looking for

Ezelkyhunter, Tankt and bdl605 like this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I have zero interest in being buried, might have to do something similar with my ashes. Places ive hunted and fished would be cool. My daughters are going to have a heck of a time getting to all those spots lol.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  9. EasyE

EasyE Fawn

Nov 5, 2020
    Breckinridge Co
    I have 2 acres of durana clover and chicory,1.5 acres of brassica. I also have a feeder I will put almost a 5 gallon bucket of feed in a week to 10 days apart. I mix corn,full draw and BB2. Around the 1st part of January I will hinge cut some small trees that have honey suckle in it. I eye balled about 12 trees while hunting. My hope is to get to a point where i don't see a browse line in February. I will also hinge cut around 5 female persimmon trees that I marked this fall.

10. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Why?

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    If you want to supplemental feed in addition to corn, try senior horse feed. They love it and it's good for em where corn ain't doing nothing for em.

12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Always wondered about this. Seems like youd have to have a covered feeder for that right?

13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I don't, they clean it up pretty quick.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  14. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

This is when the fertilizing of green briar and honey suckle back in the spring comes into play.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I was like you at first. I missed the word around. I don’t think he’s cutting the persimmons. Just trees around them.

bowhunter269 and HeadedWest like this.