Winchester pdx1.12 defender for night hunting?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Bzgenius, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    Wildcat you did not call me unethical and that was not towards you. Yote Yoda was the one who basically called me unethical by stating, "It is very clear to me and other ethical hunters that you CAN NOT use a SINGLE projectile no matter what you combine it with." You all say when in doubt call your GW, we'll until you brought doubt I thought it was completely legal and had no doubts like a lot of other hunters that are not trying to look for loop holes just following the regs as written. Now those hunters will be unethical if they don't happen upon this website and read this. I contacted FW by email and when they respond I will paste their answer here.

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Buckfever is correct. He is NOT using a single projectile. He is using 5 projectiles. No different than if they were 0 buckshot

3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Good night! What a crock! Lmao.

I'm not his attorney, nor did I ever offer him legal advice. I'm just a sportsman with an opinion (ergo the "IMO"), just like everyone else on this forum.

You seem to have serious issues whenever people disagree with you.

A CO might very well cite him because he was told to cite him, but being cited is not the same as being convicted. That's why judges not LEO's interpret the law. When the judge dismisses the citation, you can cry about how judges won't enforce poaching citations.

Somebody at Kdfwr screwed up when drafting this ordinance. They just need to fix it. It's not a big deal and certainly not grounds to get your Depends in a bunch.

4. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Since you gave him the right answer you could hit him up for billable hours. LOL!

5. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Maybe this new night season will help keep trespassing coon hunters in check.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    New regulations allow hunters to use a shotgun to take coyotes at night year round. Lights or night vision equipment can only be used from Feb. 1 through May 31.

“This new opportunity offers landowners another tool to assist in the removal of coyotes associated with livestock depredation,” said Steven Dobey, furbearer program coordinator for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. “Coyotes are generally less wary at night and hunting at this time can result in increased harvest success.”

While Kentucky’s General Assembly enacted a law allowing night hunting of coyotes earlier this year, lawmakers left it to Kentucky Fish and Wildlife to create regulations for the seasons. The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission approved the new regulations in the spring; the proposed regulations recently won all the necessary approvals from legislative committees to open a season.

A shotgun loaded with shells up to size T is the only legal firearm for night coyote hunting. Hunters will not be able to use slugs. Decoys and electronic calls will be allowed.

Hunters on private property must have permission from landowners to be there. “In developing these new regulations, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife has taken special precautions to prevent the illegal harvest of antlered deer and minimize human safety concerns,” Dobey said. “No hunter should jeopardize those precautions by trespassing just because they are hunting at night.”

The night light season will correspond with the time of year when deer have shed their antlers. This should lessen the motivation to poach deer. Late winter is also when vegetation is at its lowest, food is most scarce and when coyotes are actively breeding, making them easier to call into a set up. Lights cannot be connected to or cast from a vehicle. Any color of light can be used.

Daytime hunting for coyotes is open year round. Hunters may use shotguns, centerfire rifles, bows, crossbow, air guns with a minimum size of .22-caliber and rimfire rifles during daylight hours.

There is no limit on the number of coyotes which hunters may take at night or during the day.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    After Duck hunting this morning I stopped by the local store on the way home.
    Ran into a friend of mine we started BSing. He said let me show you my latest.Went over to his truck he took out a SIG AR 223 he had rigged up with a light mounted in front of the front hand grips. Saying my new night Coyote hunting gun.I said its illegal to use a rifle at night.His response was well they have to catch me first.
    This is what its going to turn out to be.Worse mistake KFWL has made.

8. I would recommend hevi shot dead coyote. I know they are expensive but i shot a coyote last night, at 30 yards, using an 870 with only a 20 inch barrel with jelly head choke and he dropped like a rock. My buddy skint it out today and he said it looked like it had been hit in the head with a 15 lb sledge hammer swung by the hulk. Iv shot 00 buck at a closer distance and had to put 2 rounds in it to finish it off. Hope its not just beginner luck but i like the results thus far

9. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    That article was written before they had really hashed out the rules after passing the law. The new rules state that there is no limit on shot size per fish and game website.

10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

I called my local GW and he told me what I posted. When it comes to KY hunting laws and rules I will take his word over your any day of the week and to me that's serious..

But thank you for telling us all you are NOT a lawyer, looking back over several threads I bet people wish you had posted that sooner.

As for me harming the guy, he named me in his post, not the other guy but I guess you missed that part.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    What gets me is that here on this site there are COs and members of Fish and Wildlife that read and post sometimes.These questions are asked on here all the time about different regs.So why don't they join in and tell us what the CORRECT REGULATIONS ARE?

I recommend that call CO or Fish and Wildlife Dept ask the question then post answer on here so we all can read.

12. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    This news report is wrong. There is no size limit on shot

13. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Instead of calling, asking and wondering here is the LAW. Pretty simple

301 KAR 2:251. Hunting and trapping seasons and limits for furbearers.

RELATES TO: KRS 150.170, 150.180, 150.370, 150.399, 150.400, 150.415, 150.416, 150.990
    STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.175(7), (9), 150.360(6), 150.410
    NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations to establish open seasons for the taking of wildlife, to regulate bag limits and methods of take, and to make these requirements apply to a limited area. KRS 150.175(7), (9) authorizes the department to issue licenses, permits, and tags for hunting and trapping. KRS 150.410 authorizes the department to regulate trap tags, trap visitation, and trap placement to protect domestic animals. KRS 150.360(6) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations establishing the requirements for hunting coyotes at night with or without the use of lights or other means designed to make wildlife visible at night. This administrative regulation establishes seasons, bag limits, and legal methods for hunting and trapping furbearers.

301 KAR 2:172.
    (9) A person may take a coyote after daylight hours, with the following restrictions:
    (a) A person shall not use artificial light or other means designed to make wildlife visible at night from June 1 through January 31;
    (b) Any artificial light or other means designed to make wildlife visible at night shall not be connected to or cast from a mechanized vehicle;
    (c) A person shall not use any weapon other than a shotgun; and
    (d) A person shall not use a shell with a single projectile.

The OP asked about a shell that has multiple projectiles, not a single projectile.

14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

So that's better than calling and asking your local GW??

I know what my GW told me and I would rather have him on my side than fight him in court.

I'm using 3 1/2 inch Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote size "T" and I'm good to go.

15. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    The COs know that rounds like this were not intended to be used, You, I and everyone on here knows rounds like this were not the intention of the shotgun only/no slug rule. But, and it is a big BUT, as long as the law stands as it is currently written, with no limit on shot size, there isn't a judge in the state that will uphold a ticket. The law says multiple projectiles, which these rounds hold, and doesn't limit shot size. If they could figure out how to stack 3 slugs in a row into a shotgun shell it would be legal the way it is now written.