Winchester pdx1.12 defender for night hunting?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Bzgenius, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    Saw these at sportsmans warehouse today while picking up varity of 4,00, and 000 to pattern for next months night hunting. Grabbed a box to see if the slug has any accuracy at 100yards. Was wondering if anyone else has tried or is considering them? Pretty sure the three 00 pellet will be out of the picture after 50 yards.

2. I don't think you can use those night hunting. I don't know for sure but I think slugs are a no no.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Yep they are a no no !!

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    With the Defender being a 1 rifled slug and 3 00 buck shell the slug makes it illegal.

5. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    Regulation does not mention slugs as illegal. Only says "shot shells with single projectile shall only be used during daylight hours". These have 4 projectiles so they are legal at night.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The slug is bigger than T shot.

7. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    Are you just giving random facts? Nowhere in the guide does it say t shot that I see. Please back up what your saying with a source because there are a lot of things being said about the new night hunting rules that I can't find anywhere on the fish and game website. The last thing I want to do is hunt illegally so please point me in the right direction for these rules that keep coming up randomly.

Straight from from the hunting guide.
    Centerfire or rimfire gun
    Shotgun no larger than 10-gauge and plugged to hold a maximum of 3 shells (two in magazine and one in chamber). There is no limit on shot size. Shot shells with a single projectile may only be used during daylight hours.
    Bow and arrow or crossbow
    Air guns with pellets that are at least .22 caliber in size
    Hand or mouth operated calls, electronic calls, or attracting devices.

Also at the top of same page.
    Coyotes may be hunted during daylight hours year-round.

Lights and night-vision equipment may be used to hunt coyotes after daylight hours from February 1 - May 31.

Lights and night-vision equipment shall not be cast from or connected to a motorized vehicle.

Shotgun is the only legal weapon that may be used to hunt coyotes after daylight hours.

Shot shells shall not contain single projectiles when hunting coyotes after daylight hours.

Air guns, with a minimum of .22 caliber, may be used to take fur-bearers.

8. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Shot shells shall not contain single projectiles when hunting coyotes after daylight hours.

Re-read this.

Shot shells shall not contain SINGLE PROJECTLES.

How many slugs does that shot shell you are talking about have??

Yes it is a mix of 3 00 buck and A SINGLE PROJECTLE.

That right there makes it illegal. If it had 2 or more slugs mixed with shot then it would legal.

Want to be sure?? Call your local game warden and ask him.

Think about this. If a shot shell had say 3 small slugs and ONE SINGLE 00 PROJECTLE then that would also be illegal only because of the SINGLE 00 SHOT PROJECTLE.

Same if a shell had 8 BB's and ONE SINGLE 00 Buck PROJECTLE.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. No matter what you say hunters will continue looking for a way around the rules. You can talk all you want but people looking for loop holes will do anything to find one. Looking for an edge is all that matters to some folks. It is very clear to me and other ethical hunters that you CAN NOT use a SINGLE projectile no matter what you combine it with.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse but he's not the only person looking for any edge he can grab. We were lucky to have this law passed but I don't think breaking the law is going to be limited to poachers only. I would be willing to bet that there will be more rifles night hunting than shotguns.

10. Bzgenius

Bzgenius Fawn

Dec 29, 2013
    Mackville KY
    Single projectile=1

Where do you all come up with single projectile=slug?
    1 BB in a shot shell would be illegal but 9 not illegal.

I'm not looking for loopholes. Wildcat I understand what your saying but if that's what they mean then there're will be a lot of ethical hunters breaking the law unknowingly because of two different wordings of the same thing on the the same page.

Good to know when my opinion doesn't match yours I become an unethical hunter, that there is BS!!! I am trying to follow the rules that are written not made up definitions and opinions.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    You missed the word.

You said 'SINGLE PROJECTILE"

The rules state, "SINGLE PROJECTILES"

You would be right calling a single slung a single projectile.

"1 BB in a shot shell would be illegal but 9 not illegal" you are right but now mix them up with 3 BB and a slung then you have a single slung mixed in with the BB's.

As for your BS about the "unethical hunter", where does that come from??? YOUR OWN POST and no where else that I posted. Now you are acting out calling me in ways that's un called for.

Call up your local GW and ask him. If he says I'm wrong then so be it. it's a simple phone call WE ALL can make our selves to find out the truth for ourselves.

12. Make the call----I did. Always make the call when in doubt and you will protect yourself against being an unethical hunter. If you don't understand the law or misread the law and in turn you break the law you are still considered and labeled as an unethical hunter.

13. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Why is everyone all over this guy for trying to game the system? This guy didn't write the law/regs. Imo, anything ejected from the gun that is designed to and can kill (I.e. Not wadding) would likely be deemed a projectile. A BB is a projectile. 4 bb's and 1 slug are 5 projectiles.

If folks think that this skirting the intent and spirit of the regs, call your local commish, explain your issue, and ask them to redraft the regs with more precision. They could do that in less than an hour.

IMO, what the OP is proposing is perfectly legal.

14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

Like someone else posted, I DID make the call too, so that makes two of us who called two different GW's. Looks like we both got the same answer.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

by the way. Your a lawyer in Kentucky or am I thinking about someone else?? If you are that makes you an officer of the court so taking you advice counts. If he gets caught I hope you will go help him pro bond.