Winchester model 70

jshepherd

6 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
Breathitt
I just picked up a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag for 250 bucks with a Simmons whitetail classic scope 3-9x40. Anybody have one of these guns and what's their thoughts on them? I figured for the price I picked it up for I couldn't go wrong, guy was needing money for Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I just picked up a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag for 250 bucks with a Simmons whitetail classic scope 3-9x40. Anybody have one of these guns and what's their thoughts on them? I figured for the price I picked it up for I couldn't go wrong, guy was needing money for Christmas

You got a good buy no doubt.... which for the price you paid I assume it's a gun made between 1965- to early 2000.

The pre-64's bring top dollar and the ones built after 2005-6 are built on the Pre-64 specs. They have the Mauser style actions with the claw / controlled round feed.... you can identify by the bolt. Which Winchester did make some model 70's listed as "Classic" in the early 90's if I remember correctly. They also have the pre-64 design but were produced in limited quantiles.

The majority of post-64 to 2005-6 have a bolt design similar to a Remington 700. Nothing in the world wrong with that design and was changed to compete with Remington. The pre-64's were costly to produce and to stay competitive they made changes.

Regardless of all that ... most all Model 70's were good shooters.... solid guns in general. I shot Remington 700's for about 30 years but switched to a pre-64 designed new model 70 featherweight a few years ago. My FIL collects Winchesters and has a pre-64 he's deer hunted with most his life. My BIL had one of the post-64 Black Shadow models with the Remington style bolt design ... it was a really good gun.

It's a personal thing with me ...but I'd take any of the Winchester 70's over all of the new Remington's made today.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
I would say that if you can hold it without gloves and not get a burn, you got a great deal.

jshepherd

6 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
Breathitt
Lol it's post 64 he was originally selling for 350 but close to Christmas and needed the cash, if it wasn't for that circumstance it would have costed more

jshepherd

6 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
Breathitt
Don't care for the scope that's on it though, I have a set of dnz rings that I believe will fit it

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.

got a great deal. now sell that scope on ebay and get some good glass for it.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I win

I will pay,........ evil.jpg

orion2000

6 pointer
Dec 7, 2013
As mentioned above, if you can hold it bare handed without getting burnt, you got a great deal. While the Push Feed M70's are not as "coveted" as the earlier Pre-64's, or the later Classics, they have a sound reputation for being accurate and reliable. As you can already see, you shouldn't have any problem getting your money back if you decide to sell...