Winchester deer season xp ammo

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by joelwalters, Sep 25, 2015.

1. joelwalters

joelwalters Banned

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    I have been using Barnes Vor-tx ammo in my 308 for the past couple of years basically because it was the only hunting ammo I could find at the time. It has always shot and performed very well (sub MOA in my Savage), but I decided to try the new Winchester deer season Xp because of the good press and mostly because it costs less than half as much per box. At the range I was pretty happy with the new ammo. I didn't need to adjust the scope at all and the accuracy was acceptable at about 1.25" 3 shot group with variable wind. It might do sub-MOA on a better day. If the press and marketing is right, it is supposed to provide quick kills too. I have been scouring the Internet looking for reviews from guys who actually purchased and hunted with the stuff--not just a gun writer. I think a couple states have an early rifle season so hopefully some start coming in. I would be interested if anyone else has any reviews or experience on how it has performed.

2. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have been reading reviews also, I could not find any non-writer reviews since it was just released to market.
    What I could find was it will make a big hole so no shoulder shot unless you want to loose some meat.
    Dave

3. joelwalters

joelwalters Banned

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    My friend shot a doe with my 308 a tad bit low in the chest but still in the lethal zone on a broad side shot. The bullet basically exploded on impact with the lower rib cage and tore an unexplainable 12" gash along the entrance and the core exited the opposite side in pieces taking out heart lung. Some rib pieces punctured the stomach slightly and cut up the liver. It was a fawn doe maybe at 60-70 pounds and ran around 50 yards before falling. Huge blood trail to follow and easy recovery. We hope he gets another chance tomorrow and maybe a shot a bit higher.

4. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Depends on if you want a bullet to pass through or not. Its a ballistic tip with a thin jacket that will expend all its energy inside the deer and come apart inside the deer. Im sure it will tear up vitals pretty good. I want a bullet to expand, and use most of its energy inside the deer and barely make it though the off side of the deer. I prefer the blood trail of a pass through but im sure they will kill a deer, just dont expect an exit wound unless its just through the ribcage. I would never want to hit a shoulder bone with a ballistic tip.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015