Will coyotes get in your sweet corn?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by GrouseAssasin, Aug 19, 2016.

1. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Something got into my garden overnight and tore 10-12 stalks of corn down, ate 1/2 to 3/4 of the ear, cob and all. There's dog or coyote tracks everywhere but I don't have any close neighbors with free roaming dogs and my yard dogs can't get in the garden due to an invisible fence. I've been gardening 5 years and this was the biggest, prettiest, most magazine picture worthy stand of corn I've grown. My beagles raised hell about 3 this morning but I didn't see anything, assumed it was deer trying to sneak in and the dogs scared them off. My wife said after I left they threw another fit the whole time while she was getting ready for work. I've never had a deer or coon problem here and always assumed it was because my kennel and yard fence is so close to the garden. Whatever this was apparently ignored the dogs, ate it's fill and will probably be back tonight....might not end well :mad:

2. Gooch

Gooch 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    ive seen coyotes eat hard shell corn,so i bet they would eat sweet corn ,some dogs will too

Jarhead likes this.
  3. Sounds more like a bear or deer than a coyote. Look close for tracks. Coons will eat about anything too.

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    No it was dog/coyote tracks. The deer won't come that close to the house and we don't have bear....yet. Whatever it was must have decided not to come back, beagles haven't thrown any more fits and no more corn has been damaged knock on wood.

5. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Same thing happened to us over 2 nights, then nothing after I put up a trail cam. The stalks that wasn't pulled up were cut about as clean as whackin' em with a machete.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The damn squatches are thievin' this man's sweet corn! I think the department is stocking them.

8. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Darn Cornsquatch, where's that CIA guy at? I would call in TrueRifleman but I just wanna scare it off not extinct the entire species :D

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  9. peckprice

peckprice 8 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    Coyotes love corn, both sweet and field/white varieties. There are no hard and fast rules for identifying the culprit but coons usually eat the corn right in the patch and coyotes "usually" carry the ear some distance before eating. Coyotes also will pull the stalk up, roots and all. We caught some coyotes for a friend once in a white/bread corn patch. He actually saw a coyotes running off with the whole stalk still attached to the ear of corn.

Jarhead likes this.
  10. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Yeah, it's a coyote. He stayed gone for a day or two but when I got home this evening there was a few corn stalks jerked up and drug out in the middle of a freshly mowed bottom about 50 yards from my garden. Bad thing is I can't shoot toward my garden for my neighbors house and I don't have any foot traps. I'm about to just say hell with it this year and mow it all down. It's not quite ready to pick yet but at this rate I'm not going to have any left to pick and If I can't have it I'm damn sure not going to let some stinking coyote eat it all.

11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Put a battery powered radio or something out there. As much work goes into it don't let em have it without a fight. I got traps if u need em.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  12. Rossi

Rossi 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2009
    Montgomery Co. , KY
    Yes they will eat it , I had them do this to my sweet corn patch when I was in Ohio they would pull it up stalk and all take out in the yard eat it then go get another , I would walk through the corn
    and take leak and have the dog walk in the cord it would help .

13. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    My beagles threw another fit a little after 2 this morning. I snuck outside and saw my corn shaking, tried to slip across the yard in the dark and get a shot angle away from the neighbors house.
    It saw me before I saw it, got away for now. I got all weekend......

14. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    YAYE!!! Happy to report that my cornyote is either
    A: laying dead in my garden
    B: mortally wounded and ran off to die.

15. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Both are pretty good scenarios.