Wild Hogs at LBL

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by MammothCaveHunter, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MammothCaveHunter

MammothCaveHunter 6 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Mammoth Cave
    Just wondering if anyone had any info on hog sign, sightings, reports, etc while on LBL. I recently accepted a job there looking at the hog population and am doing grid/drainage type searches for any and all sign, hogs, etc. I have found only 2 spots so far and wanted to get on the areas that may have pigs as quickly as possible and leave those that may be a dead end to last.

2. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I'd like to know where they are too. I'd sure like to get a shot at one.

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Zones 1 and 2 were the last I had any knowledge of. It has been a couple of years and those idiots could have hauled in more since. But the first batch were pretty well wiped out during a peak in the coyote population. Last one of those I knew of was headed down into the area behind star camp. That area is hard to get into by most means. Roads may be impassable to some of those areas right now. And I am quite frankly surprised I haven't seen any sign of them in areas I hunt if theere are many in there. I keep looking for them since I learned they are there. Jimmie

4. MammothCaveHunter

MammothCaveHunter 6 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Mammoth Cave
    Area 1 still has them. BUT ONLY A COUPLE to small few, I'VE FOUND. The old reports came mostly from area 2, the more recent ones, area 1. But most of the time when a report comes in, the staff has not been notified in a timely manner, and have found nothing upon responding. Most of the sign reports are always armadillos. But thanks, anything specific, especially with locations are helpful.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I was talking with Bloemer myself at the time and he wouldn't tell me anything until a month too late for me to do much good at tracking them. Trying to go on sign two weeks or more old is not possible in my book. All you can find by then is where htey root for nuts and very little of that.

So that one survivor may have been a piggy guilt that made it. Keep an eye out for a very large dog in that area as well. He tends to avoid coyotes like hte plague from his sign. That portion is not well populated by coyotes for some reason, at least not as heavily as further south. Two of the groups still hunt deer in late winter so they may be what has kept hte hogs down in numbers. Jimmie

6. True Rifleman .270Win

True Rifleman .270Win 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    Semp ya might want a little bigger than a .223 to kill one if he's big enough I've seen it take 2 shots out of a .338 Lapua to bring one down.

7. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    I wonder if there are small groups of hogs in LBL that know one knows about.

They could easily enter LBL from private land in Tennessee. Even though know one has reported them, does not mean they are not there. But a few groups would not be good to study.

And if Areas 1, and 2 had them, other areas probably did also. Because wild hogs dont recognize areas, areas, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc in LBL are all the same to a wild Hog.

8. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.

It's hard to keep small groups of anything in LBL without folks talking about them...

9. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Sorry to get off subject, but it's apparent this young man needs some help in gun department. True Rifleman, you need to do some research.The .338 Lapua was designed by snipers for long range shots and used mostly by the military and extremely long range shooters. I highly doubt that you have ever seen one of these guns, let alone an animal shot by one. They say the recoil from one is absolutely brutal and they install muzzlebrakes on these guns similar to the .50 BMG. The guns and shells are so expensive that someone would be crazy to waste one on coyotes. Let alone a coyote or dog take 2 solid hits to kill it. The .338 Lapua has enough power and range to take on any animal on earth.

10. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    You're bout to get skoolt!

11. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    obviously predator 1 has not seen his other posts

12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Actually I have. Thats why I finally had to chime in this time. He is a real piece of work. Cracks me up.....

13. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    Hogs can be killed with a .22 I've done it. I'know some people with Lapuas and they are some big guns

14. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    I know my sniper rifles and the Lapuas are my favorite never shot one but have seen them shot and cant wait till they let me get behind it

15. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    It was on a Boar that weighed around 200lbs