Wifi camera system

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Guys, can ya'll recommend a wifi camera system for your house? I prefer a budget system. I don't know how many cameras I need....4, 6,8, 10? Battery vs cord? Display quality? Memory size?

I purchased two blink systems from Costco a few months ago when they had $80 off on them (paid $239 per set). I have a set on my property and another set at my home. I have been very pleased with them. The only downside for me is they do not have a web app. You have to use your cell phone to access the cameras. The unlimited video plan is $100 per year and doesn't matter how many cameras you have.

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
I have Ring cameras that run on rechargeable batteries. Have to switch batteries out every couple months depending on how much action they see. 100 bucks a year for videos to be available indefinately. Can use PC to check them as well. I can see whose coming and going from work and activate lights and alarm from work as well.
Wife had her ringer turned off at work and came home with it still off. I was at work and needed to talk to her so I set the Ring alarm off a couple times and she called me to give me a hard time for doing it. I told her to turn her phone ringer back on and she then thought it was funny that I used the alarm to get her to call.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I purchased two blink systems from Costco a few months ago when they had $80 off on them (paid $239 per set). I have a set on my property and another set at my home. I have been very pleased with them. The only downside for me is they do not have a web app. You have to use your cell phone to access the cameras. The unlimited video plan is $100 per year and doesn't matter how many cameras you have.

Ummm, are you sure about that? I have 8 blink cameras. Blink was purchased by Amazon.
As long as you don't want to keep video clips for over a month then there is no monthly fee. I don't pay anything. I delete clips weekly but I could probably go a few weeks if I wanted. No fee past buying the cameras.
They each run on two lithium AAs and will last 3 to 9 months, depending on how often they are triggered.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Guys, can ya'll recommend a wifi camera system for your house? I prefer a budget system. I don't know how many cameras I need....4, 6,8, 10? Battery vs cord? Display quality? Memory size?
Buy them on the up coming prime day. As long as you have good wifi you will be pleased. I have 8 cameras with two sync modules. I put the second sync in my garage so I could reach a camera on my driveway. Metal garage door screws with the signal.

Edit: I bought a doorbell ring cam but haven't deployed it so I have 9.

Ummm, are you sure about that? I have 8 blink cameras. Blink was purchased by Amazon.
As long as you don't want to keep video clips for over a month then there is no monthly fee. I don't pay anything. I delete clips weekly but I could probably go a few weeks if I wanted. No fee past buying the cameras.
They each run on two lithium AAs and will last 3 to 9 months, depending on how often they are triggered.
Apparently Blink use to be free storage and existing customers were grandfathered in. As usual, I was late to the party and one of the lucky ones that get to pay the fee.

kriggs

6 pointer
Jan 23, 2016
I have Blink and grandfathered in on the no fee storage. I really like them, easy setup and the batteries last a long time. The trigger range on the external camera is not great so you'll have to play around with placement to cover everything. But being battery and wireless it's simple to move them around to find the right spot.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
We have been using an Arlo camera system for two years. You can wire them or use the onboard rechargeable batteries. The batteries last a couple months on average per charge. You can use as many or as few cameras as you like. We run three and keep one in rotation if we need to add coverage or replace another while charging. Video is good and the app works well. You can put different skins on the cameras to better match them to the area they are being mounted. Setup is a breeze. The down side to system is the quality of the night vision setting. If you have another light source pointing anywhere near the camera it will give you terrible video while it’s using night vision. The night vision by itself does great if you don’t have any other light source to interfere.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Y’all are probably gonna think I’m crazy but I live in the most populated neighborhood in Lexington and have no home security. Actually, vicious wiener dogs and plenty of “firepower” I guess. On any given day I can step out and someone from ADT, Vivent, etc…will walk by so I have options. Info on this thread may help me make future decisions. Good read.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Y’all are probably gonna think I’m crazy but I live in the most populated neighborhood in Lexington and have no home security. Actually, vicious wiener dogs and plenty of “firepower” I guess. On any given day I can step out and someone from ADT, Vivent, etc…will walk by so I have options. Info on this thread may help me make future decisions. Good read.

You are potentially the most intelligent one posting within this thread, then...

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You are potentially the most intelligent one posting within this thread, then...
I’m not anti home security. I’ve just always had an opinion that if someone wants something bad enough that home security isn’t going to deter that behavior. Plus, there’s a few on my little cul-de-sac that have lived there for years and we look out for each other as needed. I’ve been in SFL since Father’s Day and the only worries I have are things like broken water lines, HVAC issues, etc…

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I’m not anti home security. I’ve just always had an opinion that if someone wants something bad enough that home security isn’t going to deter that behavior. Plus, there’s a few on my little cul-de-sac that have lived there for years and we look out for each other as needed. I’ve been in SFL since Father’s Day and the only worries I have are things like broken water lines, HVAC issues, etc…

Neither am I. I simply make it a habit of reducing risk. Anything connected can be hacked. One of my younger brothers was early in owning a home security business, installing cam systems for others in NFL. I hacked them.

Fur Feather

8 pointer
Dec 27, 2002
Lexington, KY, USA.
I have a Simply Safe system which works well for me since I got robbed on 7/7/17. Have 1 camera that records but you can add more. Pat $24.99 a month so I can control it with my phone, otherwise 15.99 a month. Not robbed since, kiss on wood. Self installed Paid $750 for the whole system. Great customer support.