Widowmaker's

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BuckNest, Oct 21, 2020.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Not a lightning strike. I have hundreds of similar trees on my property. Its just what standing dead ash does.

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

It likely is lightning struck and due to the stand, as well as height and girth. Ash trees are one of lightning's favorites along with a few others. The tulip poplars were always the most fun to assess, being that they have a tendency to explode and shred during strikes. There is literally no way for me to recall how many I have estimated and removed. What is always funny is when you get some still wet behind the ears insurance adjustor wanting to debate the matter; they always lost with me.

3. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 10 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    that tree was not lightning struck.

G

BNewNKY46 and elmucho277 like this.
  4. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Definitely not a lightning strike. I have a large # of ash trees in the woods where I live that have this appearance. After being attacked by the ash bore, the tree will deteriorate and finally break off, often 10-20 ft up the tree. I won’t hunt any woods that have a large # of ash trees on a windy day.

5. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Wow, that's some bad ju-ju right there. Thank God no one was in the stand at the time.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    And have you determined whether it is the remnants of white, green, or blue ash? o_O:D

A proper assessment as to cause of death cannot be performed from those photographs. The tree requires further inspection. Not all lightning strikes leave burnt bark etc. It is not exhibiting obvious signs of the emerald ash borers (no blonding, etc.), but that does not mean they fail to exist. The bark needs to be pulled away, for better analysis. The EAB will leave "D" shaped holes upon exit. The larvae will leave frass, as well as "S" shaped galleries beneath the bark. Additional borers attack ash, as well, leaving their own signatures. Something quickly killed it, per the OP. Keep in mind that pests typically move into already stressed trees, such as lightning struck trees, resulting in both. In those cases, insurance adjusters typically pay out the bucks for its removal and replacement costs. I am unsure of KY regulations, but a quarantine may exist for trees succumbing to EAB up here, preventing its relocation outside of X miles. It's a good idea to have an arborist inspect the tree.

7. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yes sir,..EAB.

8. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 10 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY

100% guaranteed fact that it is a white ash. An arborist would seek my advice. lightening strikes a tree because it is a conduit into the ground. Trees explode because of resistance they aren't as good of a conduit as say a lightening rod up on the house or barn. lightening won't be seeking out dead ash trees that got bug bit ten years ago. The metal stand would show signs of a lightening strike like being blown off the tree or being melted.

G

9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Yeah that stand would be the easiest path to ground.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Won't know without a thorough asssessment, and that's a fact, but you are going about your thought processes correctly, because it's always much like detective work. I have seen some seriously crazy situations over the years and have been in the business since the mid 90s specializing in the removal of hazard trees (the ones that frighten the other tree service entities), which is the reason that I own my crane (much faster...more lucrative). That's the beauty of lightning; although it can and does strike twice, it's never the same, much like snowflakes never are the same. We receive tons of lightning in Florida, and it's always been one of my favorite photography subjects. Again, an arborist would prove beneficial. The blue ash is less susceptible to the EAB, btw.

Trees take a long time to learn about, which is the reason that I have never hired a climber with less than ten years experience. I have had estimators walk up to a tree to give an estimate, only to have it fall right as they were standing beside it...could relay so very many crazy stories, not even including disaster relief work or logging.

BuckNest likes this.
  11. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 10 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    Do you know what the straps that are holding the stand to the tree are made of? Sure you do, petroleum. You are still barking up the wrong tree.

G

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I claim blissful ignorance regarding deer hunting equipment, while I cannot claim the same regarding high risk tree removal and its various causes. Unlike you, I know better than to make a professional assessment based upon these photographs. You keep chopping away with your little saw upon your land though (discovered your thread about all just last week, lol).

13. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 10 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    Case closed Sherlock, you are the one just discovering on the internet what emerald ash bore is.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours's. I'm using mine today how about you?

DSC04742 (1200 x 900).jpg

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
  15. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 10 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY