Widowmaker's

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BuckNest, Oct 21, 2020.

1. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    I wanted to share what I came across while checking a couple Rut stands that I have deep on my farm. The pictures you see below are of a stand I had not hunted since 2018. The last couple of times I hunted it I remember hearing it cracking while swaying in the wind. Everyone be sure to check the trees around your stand as they are as life threatening as the tree you are putting your stand in (especially ash). Treat everything that appears to be sketchy very seriously. If you have had any experiences like this please share them due to it may save someone's life.

163865.jpeg 163862.jpeg 163864.jpeg 163865.jpeg 163862.jpeg 163864.jpeg

2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Had a big snag fall on me before daylight one morning I was in a climber had safety harness on couldn't see if stand was damage till it got light, I agree check trees all around your set-up

kyhunter99 likes this.
  3. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

Looks like an old ASH tree. Be careful. Lots of those around the woods now after that bug went through.

aaronc likes this.
  4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's an advertisement for that stand! If it can hold up a tree top it can hold all of us fat asses.

Feedman, BootsOn27, Jason1977 and 8 others like this.
  5. Gooch

Gooch 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    Son of a ... that’s gonna leave a mark

6. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    I told a couple of my buddies that I had to hold it up with one arm while I climbed out from underneath it. Lol

Feedman and redjackson like this.
  7. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    They don't call it dead wood for nothing.

G

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Good post!
    I know you mentioned you hadn't hunted since 2018. Was the tree healthy then? Or had the leaves fallen off all trees when you assembled the ladder stand?

Also... Now that the leaves are off i can see guys climbing trees they dont know are dead if the bark hadnt fallen off yet.

9. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    That tree is at least several years dead.

G

10. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    I put the stand in that tree 4 years ago if I remember correctly. It was alive when I put it up. Unfortunately about 65% of my woods was ash and the bore hit them hard. I had went in to move the stand, hoping that scenario had not happened yet. At this point we have 90 acres of some of the thickest bedding around, which is not a bad thing with the right time of the year coming up. Just thought I would share with everyone because sometimes we all get a little laxed when it comes to our normal stomping grounds.

carnivore and Timholt70 like this.
  11. 859Chuck

859Chuck Fawn

Aug 30, 2020
    Florence KY
    Good post, it’s always a good idea to check straps also, I recently tightened a ratchet strap while checking stands, and the strap broke. It’s a good thing I always use two straps.

carnivore and woodsman92 like this.
  12. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Years ago I went in before sun up with a climber and climbed a tree on a field corner I've never hunted before. Everything seemed fine until I stood to stretch my legs a couple of hours after sun up. I heard a small pop coming from the tree I was in. The bark was fully intact around the tree, so I started picking at it. Come to find out the tree was in fact dead after cutting into the bark with my knife and prying some off. With a major pucker factor, I slowly crept back down from 20' up with the tree popping every other time I repositioned the climber. Never heard a single pop on the way up for some reason. Last time I climbed an unknown tree in the dark

13. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    It is a wonder there are not alot of accidents just like you described, especially now adays.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  14. Grago

Grago 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I never had that happen, had few steps and boards to break, on those old wood ladder, stands, had a climbing stand fall with me one, other than some cuts, and bruises, was ok, but that deal right there, in those pics, could take a man out of here in a hurry, yall be careful, you can get hurt bad real quick

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Difficult to tell from photos but looks to be an old lightning strike. Perhaps the stand conducted it. Shame, being one of the older trees.

If a tree has a lean greater than 15%, or is missing bark, or contains a prevalent amount of deadwood, or has carpenter ants, or very fine sawdust at the base, or fungi growth, or small holes in the bark the size of a pen tip, or the cambium layer beneath the bark is not green, or if any cavities are noticable, or if when you look at the ground surrounding the root crown and it appears swollen on one side if not all, I might consider another tree.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    BuckNest likes this.