Why me?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ky outdoors 62, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ky outdoors 62

Ky outdoors 62 Fawn

Jun 14, 2013
    Well guys I'm gonna vent a little after what happened to me tonight. This is the 4th year I've hunted this particular buck. I have sheds from this buck and tons of trail photos, I've hunted him really hard last two years and never been lucky enough to harvest this deer. Well tonight bout 20 min before dark I look up and see him running right in front of me full steam ahead. I couldn't get a ethical shot before he topped the hill. I look back and two dogs are following right on his trail. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed while hunting in my life. If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. Have any of you guys experienced this while hunting?

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Those dogs gave you a chance to shoot a buck that otherwise you would have not seen.

3. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Maybe or the buck could have meandered by instead of running. Never know..... the dogs may have been in trouble if it were me.....

4. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I have had it happen a couple times but those dogs wont be chasing those deer anymore.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    If you couldn't get a shot at the deer I hope you took out at least one of the dogs.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Look on the bright side. He is still alive and not in someones freezer. Lots of season left.

7. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Please tell me you shot those dogs....

8. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    South Central, KY
    Well I hunted a nice 11 pt for 3 years up to last year, had him on camera every year. Saw him the first 2 years but no shot opportunity. Had him on film but hadnt seem him yet last year. Opening day of gun, he was killed one mile from my farm! I live, ate and slept that buck only for another to take him!! But you know what I had no hard feelings because of the enjoyment I got from a deer I never got to take. I hope that big one of yours escaped those dogs and just when your about to give up he gives you the chance! GOOD LUCK, stay positive and dont give up!!

9. forddeerslayer

forddeerslayer 12 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    greenup/lewis co
    Well said! Good luck on him.

10. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    Personally I wouldn't want to kill one if the dogs ran it to me. Don't get me wrong, I would shoot it, but I would be a little disappointed that I didn't get to kill him under normal terms. I didn't outsmart him. I just got lucky and some dogs happen to run him by me.

11. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Doubt I would've shot one of the dogs just because I wouldn't want any shots that close to my target buck unless I was shooting at him.

12. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    The two biggest bucks i have ever seen were getting chased by dogs. Couldnt get a shot on either but glad i got to see them.

13. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    Shot one several years ago being ran by dogs, had his tongue wore down. Saw a good one last year on the run was 2 far for me.

14. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I shot a good one several years ago during the early ML season that was being run by 2 beagles. I didn't know he was what they were running, he was so far ahead of them. I figured they had just spooked him by me... until they ran his trail right to me as I was standing there looking at him. Lucky for the dogs, it takes a bit to load a ML.

15. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I have shot several dogs that were running deer over the years and believe it or not, not one of them were hounds. I'll lay the hammer down on little Katie's puppy dog but I've got a soft spot for a hunt'n hound.