Why is Fall Turkey Harvest Down?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Valley Station, Dec 18, 2019.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I blame the lack or drop in Turkey populations, in the areas you mention, on The weather condition of the past few years, Development of lands that were once ideal for Turkey, Over harvesting of Oak Trees, Natural Predators, free roaming Dogs & Cats. Farming practices all take a toll. We also can't rule-out Diseases and poaching.

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

The decline in turkey numbers is very evident across the Southeastern U.S. As Bee stated, several studies are in progress. I will say that if you are not controlling predators on the property you hunt, especially nest predators, you are not helping. I started trapping on properties I hunt last winter and can see an increase in poult production the first year. Mainly targeting 'coons. Believe me, when I started, I think I had more 'coons than turkeys!

barney, WaterDog88, Bee and 2 others like this.
  3. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    ^^^ Coons are a huge issue. Taking the fox pro and 1187 out this week to do some calling.

4. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    I have been following these threads concerning turkey populations for several years and thought, "I must be lucky" seeing as many as always until now. Saw 4 birds total back in the early fall and none during deer season in my primary spot. Very ominous indeed. Just does not look promising for the upcoming season but hope I'm proved wrong.

John

5. Can only speak for the areas I hunt in West KY. Turkeys have all but disappeared, I saw one hen this fall and not seeing any winter flocks.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They like anything else follow the food. One day I may see a flock of 20 to 30 pass thru the next none. Just because you see several in the summer don't mean they will hang around all fall. I know of no fall serious turkey hunters. You hear of someone putting a arrow thru one archery season but never anyone gun hunting them around here.

7. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I try to fall hunt but can’t hunt what’s not there, it’s sad knowing same woods held lots of birds in past

dirtstalker likes this.
  8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Birds in my area have bout went extinct. I will be surprised if i have a bird on any part of the lands i hunt in south central this year. In 10 years i have seen the population crash bad in my area. Sad too. Cause at one time i was some of the best hunting around sure hope the kdfw does something about it. An i dont think there is any shortage of hunters in my neck of the woods. I will even go out and say there is far more hunting now then there was 15 to 20 yrs ago. But the kdfw keep selling tags so thats all that matters right?

dirtstalker and davers like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Last year at this time, I was seeing Turkey flocks of around 15 birds per day. The last time I saw a Turkey on my place and in my area was back around July-2019. I am wondering if they caught a disease since we had such a dry and hot 2019 Summer? I place shelled corn out in order to watch Deer during the Winter, and in past years Turkeys would also come to eat the corn too. Not seen one this winter nor have I've seen very many Squirrels either. Something happened last Summer.

hollandhunter likes this.
  10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Instead of complaining why don’t people start trapping the nest raiders?????????
    Just saying.
    It helps.
    Or start hunting predators or trapping them on your land. It helps.
    My ? What’s the kdfw gonna do?????

barney likes this.
  11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am seeing very few if any predators in my area, in fact I've only shot one Coyote, and that was last Spring. See no signs of predation what so ever, in fact the: Cottontail Rabbit population is slightly up on my property as well as Deer. Not saying that some predators are out there but there are certainly not the reason for population declines in certain game animals.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Last year, on or near this date (January 25, 2019) I photographed these Turkeys right outside 25 feet from my window. This year NONE
    49730885_395733541001804_4647012270465875968_o.jpg

13. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I can remember 70/100 turkeys roosting and cackling in several spots, I don’t understand how they thrived then and now they are barley there, I believe crop spray has something to do with it, once the row crop monopolies started cropping every square inch they could lease its went to hell, not to mention coyotes, bobcats, bald eagles, turkey has a very hard way to go now

davers likes this.