Why does zone one and two

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
I have wondered if that is the direction Pendelton Co is heading.

Every property gets hunting pressure anymore. The density is higher, but I am convinced the high harvest numbers in Owen and Pendelton are also due to incredilbly high numbers of hunters/hunting days per parcel.

Would love if the department put out an annual survey like other states do to ask how many days in what counties you plan to hunt or actually did hunt. To me, this data is more important than harvest data to track what is going on with the herd.

Even a smaller herd from 5 times as many hunters in the woods will reflect higher harvest rates.

Ha, Ha...I hope not for your sake because Pendelton is booming right now. I actually agree with the basic logic and biology asserted on the Z1 counties, but the application might become flawed sooner or later because there are so many dynamic variables and factors exist. A basic rule of experimental science is that theories have to be observed in a controlled situation, where all the variables and factors are known. Anyone with an elementary understanding of science will know this. Game management is, I guess, still considered a biological science. The biological foundations of deer management might be known, but that is the easy part; the hard part about it is if it will work where there are factors, such as hunter density, are not known. I think that you have a great idea.

east_ky_hunter

8 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
Zone 3 and 4 only have 10 gun hunts because the purist bowhunters lobbied frankfort in order to have less competition for deer.

I wonder how many showed up that just rifle hunt. I would say none. I somewhat agree with that statement. I bet those people were the majority. Most people that shoot the first thing that walks are usually done after the first weekend anyway. If they harvest or not. And those that feel cheated on purchasing their tags, just check them in another county. So it really doesn't matter.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I don't see were this is that far fetched! I know they have lobbied for a lot of stuff like crossbow extension and every person who sets on a position that can give them what they want. I doubt this is the fact on a zone 4 county but they are setup to control. I would love to see archery only be able to shoot doe during modern gun season. They already get the best hunting the rest of the year. This alone should boost the doe harvest and put more hunters in the woods that would kill more doe because of the extended range of a firearm. Im sure most would just gun hunt so they could kill a buck and end up killing doe while they were out.

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
I have wondered if that is the direction Pendelton Co is heading.

Every property gets hunting pressure anymore. The density is higher, but I am convinced the high harvest numbers in Owen and Pendelton are also due to incredilbly high numbers of hunters/hunting days per parcel.

Would love if the department put out an annual survey like other states do to ask how many days in what counties you plan to hunt or actually did hunt. To me, this data is more important than harvest data to track what is going on with the herd.

Even a smaller herd from 5 times as many hunters in the woods will reflect higher harvest rates.

I'd say its a combination of the two. If the numbers didn't increase each year, I'd say hunter density was having an impact on the herd, but harvest numbers continue to go up, so it looks there was/is an extremely large population there in the first place such that hunter density hasn't made a dent in the population yet.

Fat Tony

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2005
Anderson Twp & Goforth School
I agree. My concern is that unless that type of info gets captured, increased pressure will continue to reflect high harvest even if deer density decreases. Would not be able to see the effect until too late.

I was tabbed for an online survey by Ohio this year. Very well done and looked to capture a considerable amount of detail about what I hunted and how many days I hunted in which county, public or private, with youth or not, what types of weapon, amount of deer sightings, etc, I only hunted one day in Ohio but I filled it out.

Right now, I am not sure what KY uses besides density estimates and harvest numbers. They do a good job but that is only a piece of the puzzle, IMO.

Can't even use licenses sold since so many in KY do not buy statewide tags and hunt as landowners.

Buford

12 pointer
Mar 15, 2006
Zone 1 bachelor heaven
I don't see were this is that far fetched! I know they have lobbied for a lot of stuff like crossbow extension and every person who sets on a position that can give them what they want. I doubt this is the fact on a zone 4 county but they are setup to control. I would love to see archery only be able to shoot doe during modern gun season. They already get the best hunting the rest of the year...

Seriously? You don't actually believe that... That the elitist bowhunters in Zone 3 and 4 got together and convinced the KDFWR to limit he Z3/4 gun season to 10 days to get the bucks to themselves...
I try to remember this is just an internet forum and it's full of liars, braggarts, 16 year olds, idiots, the willfully ignorant, and criminals, but good god that's ridiculous.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Seriously? You don't actually believe that... That the elitist bowhunters in Zone 3 and 4 got together and convinced the KDFWR to limit he Z3/4 gun season to 10 days to get the bucks to themselves...
I try to remember this is just an internet forum and it's full of liars, braggarts, 16 year olds, idiots, the willfully ignorant, and criminals, but good god that's ridiculous.

Unfortunately these morons walk amongst us.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I said I real doubted it but it could be done if they wanted to. You cant read very good can you? As for the moron statement! You had better watch who you start poking at! They might not take it the right way.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I said I real doubted it but it could be done if they wanted to. You cant read very good can you? As for the moron statement! You had better watch who you start poking at! They might not take it the right way.

Please. Bow season is in for 4 months and people still complain because they can't shoot a doe for a couple weeks in the season? If that's your position you deserved to get poked at.
I can't believe how many people think the world should revolve around themselves and their opinion.

Buford

12 pointer
Mar 15, 2006
Zone 1 bachelor heaven

Nah, regarding elitist bowhunters shortening your gun season by lobbying the KDFWR, you said:
"I don't see were this is that far fetched!"
I don't think you really believe that happened do you? If you do, that's your right.

east_ky_hunter

8 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
Please. Bow season is in for 4 months and people still complain because they can't shoot a doe for a couple weeks in the season? If that's your position you deserved to get poked at.
I can't believe how many people think the world should revolve around themselves and their opinion.

Nailed it!!!

Latest posts