Why does zone one and two

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Breathitt is one county in zone 4 that I think could make it as zone 3, but that's just an opinion. Dosnt matter to me either way really. If it didn't have that special zone 4 roadside year round gun season it for sure would..

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
I don't think the problem in Breathitt County is lack of deer. Personally, I'd like to see them eliminate rifle season for the entire state and change it to shotgun/muzzleloader only.

This will never happen. Besides the newer saboted shotgun slugs and even M/Ls loaded with sabots, and scope sighted, shoot just as well as many rifles.

jayder85

10 pointer
Jan 6, 2011
Mountains of Eastern KY
Not everyone has that option to hunt several zones.

Well no but many could if they wanted. Several of my friends save vacation time and money just so they can go to one and two zones to hunt the last part of the season. Find a place to camp, time spent in advance will provide a place to hunt.

sbracken

6 pointer
Nov 20, 2007
Not everyone has that option to hunt several zones.

Exactly. And some people cant draw a bow, or load a crossbow, or safely shoot a firearm, or hunt from a stand, or hunt with a climber, or afford a blind, or know how to make their own blind, or find any ammo to buy, or load their own or stand the cold, or tolerate the heat in September, or hunt before work, or hunt afterwork, or afford bonus tags, or have a cool wife (or husband) who will let them hunt a lot, live near an unattended property that they can sneak onto, or tie their own shoes, or stop whining . . . . . And so on. And all of those factors (and a bunch of others) contribute to to how many deer are taken and how many days theiron zones slotted for modern gun season

6 pointer
Sep 9, 2009
Western KY
I don't think the problem in Breathitt County is lack of deer. The biggest thing I see is that people don't call half of them in. If all the deer killed in this area were recorded, I'm sure population would be considered a lot greater than what it is and we would be bumped a zone. Personally, I'd like to see them eliminate rifle season for the entire state and change it to shotgun/muzzleloader only.

"You are nuts"

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Population plain and simple..No need to make more of it than what it is folks..

Exactly. Although I'm a zone one Hunter and have seen less this year than I've seen any other year since hunting. Didn't even go back this afternoon because this was like the 3rd morning in a row I haven't seen a single deer. I told some people I hunt with that Ive passed more small bucks in a day past years than I've seen total deer this year.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
Exactly. Although I'm a zone one Hunter and have seen less this year than I've seen any other year since hunting. Didn't even go back this afternoon because this was like the 3rd morning in a row I haven't seen a single deer. I told some people I hunt with that Ive passed more small bucks in a day past years than I've seen total deer this year.

I feel your pain. This was the worst season ever for us on our place since I started hunting it in '88 if we are looking at numbers. I managed to kill a nice buck during MZ, one of 5 deer seen. I killed two does with a bow in Oct, and I had to really work for it, like 10 times going. They were the only shots presented to me. Actually, I have seen the decline happening year after year, so I now take any first available shot in order to put meat in the freezer. During MG, I saw a record 3 deer on 2 different properties of mine that total 240 acres. I hunted every weekend including today, as well as couple of days during the week. We did not kill a deer on our 150 acre property during the last 3 weeks, unless we wanted to kill our only doe left and the small 6 pointer running with her. Our whole group saw them. This all took place in Owen. Like you I think I saw 6 or so different bucks during the whole season so far, but only one during MG. I used to see that many on opening morning, actually almost any giving day, and would actually pass on 2 or 3 120's. a year. I think that my area is more pressured, so it "matured" a little faster than other areas in the county. "Maturing" means less deer pop than maybe early 80's. I am not complaining because, I still can fill my freezer with effort, and large bucks still exist, although less, but I wonder how bad it can get, and if my area is the posterchild for what is to come in other Z1 areas.

Caverun_KY

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2012
Not Here
Get to rifle hunt two weeks while zone three and four only ten days. I pay as much for my tags. Either a they must pay more or b I pay less.

Boone or Fayette? Help us decide which county to choose.
Because Zone 4 don't have that much deer. . . Bad when you can't even shoot a doe with a bow during the gun seasons in Zone 4.

I live in Zone 4.

I wish they would take the gun seasons out for a ''few years''! . . . 5 years would be better!!! :D

Fat Tony

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2005
Anderson Twp & Goforth School
I feel your pain. This was the worst season ever for us on our place since I started hunting it in '88 if we are looking at numbers. I managed to kill a nice buck during MZ, one of 5 deer seen. I killed two does with a bow in Oct, and I had to really work for it, like 10 times going. They were the only shots presented to me. Actually, I have seen the decline happening year after year, so I now take any first available shot in order to put meat in the freezer. During MG, I saw a record 3 deer on 2 different properties of mine that total 240 acres. I hunted every weekend including today, as well as couple of days during the week. We did not kill a deer on our 150 acre property during the last 3 weeks, unless we wanted to kill our only doe left and the small 6 pointer running with her. Our whole group saw them. This all took place in Owen. Like you I think I saw 6 or so different bucks during the whole season so far, but only one during MG. I used to see that many on opening morning, actually almost any giving day, and would actually pass on 2 or 3 120's. a year. I think that my area is more pressured, so it "matured" a little faster than other areas in the county. "Maturing" means less deer pop than maybe early 80's. I am not complaining because, I still can fill my freezer with effort, and large bucks still exist, although less, but I wonder how bad it can get, and if my area is the posterchild for what is to come in other Z1 areas.

I have wondered if that is the direction Pendelton Co is heading.

Every property gets hunting pressure anymore. The density is higher, but I am convinced the high harvest numbers in Owen and Pendelton are also due to incredilbly high numbers of hunters/hunting days per parcel.

Would love if the department put out an annual survey like other states do to ask how many days in what counties you plan to hunt or actually did hunt. To me, this data is more important than harvest data to track what is going on with the herd.

Even a smaller herd from 5 times as many hunters in the woods will reflect higher harvest rates.