Why does zone one and two

east_ky_hunter

8 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
Get to rifle hunt two weeks while zone three and four only ten days. I pay as much for my tags. Either a they must pay more or b I pay less.

Boone or Fayette? Help us decide which county to choose.

Last edited:

LungBlood

12 pointer
Oct 31, 2010
Florence
It comes down to the deer population in each zone. If the state felt like zones 3 and 4 could handle a longer gun season they would do it.

Bullfries

8 pointer
Jan 10, 2008
my double bull
Get to rifle hunt two weeks while zone three and four only ten days. I pay as much for my tags. Either a they must pay more or b I pay less.

Boone or Fayette? Help us decide which county to choose.
The state doesn't like you zone 3 and 4 people. They give you a shorter season because your not as important as us zone 1 guys.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
The state doesn't like you zone 3 and 4 people. They give you a shorter season because your not as important as us zone 1 guys.

FUNNY!!:highly_amused: With all the excess Deer you guys have in Zone #1 are also most likely to have an outbreak of EHD, then those Hunting in zones 3 & 4 where the Deer Herd is spread out.

LSOSGT1109

10 pointer
Jul 22, 2012
Laurel County
I live in and hunt in a zone 4 county and I'm glad gun season is only 10 days! I'm not knocking gun hunting, took my biggest deer ever this year with a gun, but I just don't think the deer population around here can withstand an extra week of gun season. Not yet anyway.

Xcal1ber

12 pointer
Jul 16, 2011
Couple ridges over
I am glad it only last for 10 days! The deer around here need a rest, because not only do people hunting during the day in rifle season, but they hunt all night too. Rifle season is a necessary tool for managing the herd, but I like it being 10 days.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
I would be happy to trade my county's zone 1 status with your county's zone 3 status. This way I would not be plagued by every Tom Dick and Harry, instate or out of state, swarming to hunt around me. I would actually see more deer, including all ages of bucks, the next year than the previous year instead of the reverse. If I had the numbers like we had at one time, then 2 weeks of Modern Gun along with MZ and our forever archery season would be plenty upon plenty of time to kill a nice one along with a doe or two. Be careful of what you wish for, just my opinion.

Highbow

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 16, 2001
Johnson County, Ky.
I live in and hunt in a zone 4 county and I'm glad gun season is only 10 days! I'm not knocking gun hunting, took my biggest deer ever this year with a gun, but I just don't think the deer population around here can withstand an extra week of gun season. Not yet anyway.
You hit right on the head, I know our deer in Johnson Co couldn't handle a longer gun season. there wouldn't be anything left for next year if it stayed open longer.

Dewey

6 pointer
Oct 23, 2013
Mt Washington
I would be happy to trade my county's zone 1 status with your county's zone 3 status. This way I would not be plagued by every Tom Dick and Harry, instate or out of state, swarming to hunt around me. I would actually see more deer, including all ages of bucks, the next year than the previous year instead of the reverse. If I had the numbers like we had at one time, then 2 weeks of Modern Gun along with MZ and our forever archery season would be plenty upon plenty of time to kill a nice one along with a doe or two. Be careful of what you wish for, just my opinion.

Amen to this!!!!!!

Latest posts