Why all the rage broadhead hate??

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by basshunter9239, Aug 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    Reading some comments about rage and it got me pondering. What are your guys experiences with them? I have shot them and had great success, and them again, 3 years ago I put a high lung shot on a 140 class buck and couldn't find it. Think it didnt open.So it got me thinking with the deer I am getting on cam and my bad luck streak of late, the last thing I need is a broadhead that doesn't work. If I shot a buck of a life time and can not find it due to a broadhead not opening I would be irate!!!!! One thing that really pissed me off was the find your game or we will send your money back guarantee!! I emailed them with my story, they emailed back asking what type bow, weight arrows set up I was using. Then when they found out my set up was good the emails stopped. I sent them 3-4 more emails demanding a answer, but no response. My title is " why all the rage broadhead hate?" I think I might of answered my own question!!! :mad:

2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Would you buy a dull knife?

3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    A Lot of my friends shoot Rage, I use Muzzy 3 blade, have shot a few 4 Blade. I choose Muzzy for a few reasons,
    1 Fixed Blade, no Fear of them not opening
    2. They are in every gun shop, bow shop, pawn shop, China mart,etc..
    3. And they are about half priced, I have never had a problem with them
    4. They have practice blades to shoot with.
    I have seen some horrible wounds from the Rage on here, but also have heard a lot of "where is my deer?" also from rage. I remember seeing a commercial once of the shooting a Rage through plywood or somthing, just as the blade went through they cut the filming, but on last frame you could see a blade flying off. I have shot a four blade rage through a 225 lb russin hog shoulder through shoulder, also used the same on a doe, while getting same doe had arrow in my hand and shot a yote, the blade is still good, after shooting hog it went through a 1/2 inch rock and stuck into a tree root, that is why I use a muzzy, would a wasp, or montec or any other of the well made fixed blades do the same? Im sure they may. But, in my area I see Muzzies every where, just an econmical thing for me, and I think if it aint broke dont fix it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Like Fleek said, not sharp. Rage broadheads are the latest greatest gadget on the market right now. They advertise, hunters buy it and try it. I tried them, and killed a couple of does with them. I did wound a buck with one. Not impressed at all. I'm not one to blame equipment as a norm. I have killed a lot of deer with archery equipment, and hunted for over 40 years. I can't say I've seen it all, but I have seen plenty. I have seen enough to know that even with a perfectly placed arrow, the deer can go a long way, and survive for quite a while with a double lung pass through. I learned a lesson with broadhead sharpness being "good enough" to kill a deer. There is such a thing as dull, but no such thing as too sharp.
    I don't think Rage broadheads are sharp enough, and I think they deflect on bone.
    I'm not saying that you can't have a failure with a fixed blade head, because I have also lost deer with fixed blade heads as well. The big difference is this. The deer I have lost with fixed blade heads have been the result of a failure on my part, and not putting a fatal shot on the deer by missing the vitals. Hitting them in the vitals and still losing them is plenty good enough to make me say no more rage heads.

5. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Keith, I think you and Pentail ought to make your own caveman commercial (kind of like that rage commercial) shooting pre-historic spotted fawns with the slick tricks. I can see it now... You shooting and carrying that spotted deer in on your shoulder to Pentail, who is anxiously waiting, wild eyed and drool out the mouth, standing behind a hollowed out stump (smoker) getting busy with two sticks for the fire.

6. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I'm all for making a commercial...but I ain't a gunna wear a loin cloth. Full frontal deer hunting for me! Those tender little morsels of venison, slow cooking over a carefully crafted fire with a mix of hand ground herbs and spices...and a Miller 64. I'll go all caveman and all, but I gots ta have a beer with my tender vittles.

7. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Is miller 64 beer?

Had a tenderfoot run across the road 3 times in front of my today in about 12 seconds. They are almost as stupid as they are tasty. It does take a marksman to put on to ground though.

On rage, poor penetration and poor durability are my issues. The new hyperdermics have my interest peaked. Blades seem thicker. Like the killzones I know shoot.

8. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I'm gonna give the hypodermics a try this year. I think they're gonna be a hit, they look a lot more solid than the extremes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

9. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Can I wrap it in bacon before I thread it on the stick?

10. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    You can buy broadheads or you can buy gadgets and gimmicks.
    To each his own I guess.

11. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    Be ready to replace your inserts. They won't fit a traditional insert, you have to use the deep impact inserts and then you have to find some practices tips that fit. Sounds like a money thing to me!,!

12. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    Anybody have any positive comment on any expandable broadheads? I know swacker will shoot through plywood at a steep angle!! U know that's good for all those really thick skinned deer!,!, lol

13. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Killed a doe last year with a Swhacker. It smoked it and the deer didn't hardly run anywhere.

14. oatbill

oatbill Fawn

Aug 5, 2012
    You must've had the "Deep Six" heads, the standard ones screw right on.

15. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Rage broadheads are the best thing since sliced bread if:
    1) you enjoy practicing catch and release bowhunting.
    2) You own a tracking dog service that profits from trailing buggered deer.
    3) You are new to the sport and dont know any better.
    4) You dont have the time, experience or fortitude to properly resharpen and tune fixed blade heads.
    5) You feel the need to have an excuse for not reovering a deer after a well placed shot.