who is going north/ are there birds this yr

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jbent, Sep 5, 2013.

1. grouse408

grouse408 Fawn

Mar 27, 2011
    Salyersville,KY
    going to clam lake WI. October 12

2. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I will be in the UP on 10/13.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Tell ol' Ralph at the Chippewa that Hillbilly Big Ears says hey. And try his Chicago style pizza. To die for.

4. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Come on and get here already. :) Seventeen more days 'til departure.

5. 308

308 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2009
    Western KY
    Heading up to my home town in northern MN. in 2 1/2 weeks for some grouse. My brother said the drumming is up from last year.

6. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Anybody concerned with the wolves?? Wasn't too much until I talked to my contact in Wisconsin and said that recently it really has taken off in the Price, Sawyer, and Ashland County area. My Britt stays close but still concerns me.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/wolf/dogdeps.html

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I'm aware, especially if I see sign, but for the most part, I don't worry about wolves. I spend as much time up north as any one and I've only seen two and they were crossing the road as I was driving.

So far, there's not been an attack on a bird dog while hunting. I run my dogs with a beeper on "run" mode to make human noise. Also, the wolves are moving off their denning territories once grouse season starts, and aren't so territorial. Plus, the DNR opened a season on them last year, which should put more fear of man in them.

8. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Guys, early reports from WI are not good. As in ... "can't find a bird to save my life" bad.

My partner is still guiding bear and hasn't been out grousing yet, but these are reports from guys he's talked to.

9. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Yea that's what I have noticed regarding bird dogs. Seems that once these hounds tree a bear the wolves know the sound and surround them with the pack. Just always concerned. Appreciate your input.

10. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    I got a similar report as well. Still early too, seems that mostly bear hunters out right now.

11. G-Man

G-Man Fawn

Jul 11, 2009
    I have two friends that have been hunting the Park Falls area for two days and they have gotten up six birds. Four young ones crossed the road on Monday and they jumped two on Tuesday. They have good dogs and really know the area but they say it looks bad!

12. jbent

jbent Fawn

Jul 6, 2012
    You guys with the knowledge, if you can give us an update on the woodcock also. I have a young dog that needs bird exposure regardless of species.

13. G-Man

G-Man Fawn

Jul 11, 2009
    I have a young dog also. According to what I'm hearing woodcock were hurt worse that the grouse by later winter. The numbers a little south in Nicolet Forest could be some better. I think everyone will find it to be like a roller coaster..some places that had birds last year maybe down and some places that didn't have birds you may find a few. Hit or miss with more misses.

14. grouse408

grouse408 Fawn

Mar 27, 2011
    Salyersville,KY
    great place

15. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I'm officially "North" now.